The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (WICruiser), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
1965 Chevrolet C10 - deluxe heater - blower motor - loud squeal on highest fan setting.


Is this something that needs lubrication or is it a death squeal?

It is a loud and persistent high pitched squeal... I thought maybe it was dusty or unbalanced, so I tapped on the case housing with it running and squealing and it will quit for a little while, then start back.

Is this a bearings going bad situation or does it need some lubrication somewhere?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

-W

heater core re-assembly photos

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

since it is so nice and nearabouts freezing outside, I left the hood up so it'd cool down faster.

I went ahead and took the blower motor out to check it out.

I sprayed a lot of that electronics spray cleaner on it to knock the grime and dust off of it, then let it dry.

I also hooked it up so I could run it without it being in the cage and turned it off and on and it didn't squeal again, yet.

I put it back together and reinstalled it, sitting still in the driveway, no squealing... hmnn.

Not sure what it'll do when I fire it up tho' and get it hot again!

Any tips and suggestions are still appreciated.

Oh yeah... how do you get the fan off of the motor without destroying them both? I saw the little nut on the shaft there... and I'm guessing it is press fit on... and the piece just below the nut looks like it is separate from the rest of the fan.

Thanks folks,

-W

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
To remove the fan it is best to have 2 people. Take off the nut or clip. One guy wrap both hands around the cage. The other guy tap the shaft with a plastic hammer. Hold it over a bench. You can oil the front bushing around the shaft & drill a hole in the rear to oil the rear bushing. These motors arn't very expensive.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
If it's been there too long a new fan wheel is not too much $$$. Sometimes the metal fan & the shaft become one.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
This is the one we use.

Replacement heater blower motor

$19.95, plus tax at O'Reilly.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
This thread here , the fella "Rich 5150 69" has a photo of what the inside of my fan looks like, minus the pop rivets...

Thanks for the replies folks.

-W

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
electronics cleaner will get rid of any lube on it. the squeel is no lubrication. try some oil where the shaft meets the motor. if still a problem you would have to take motor apart to grease bearing in the back

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
I get that the nut comes off... then just pull firmly on the cage until it comes off?

Is there another piece on there that also comes loose, after the nut is removed?

-W

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
No, the nut comes off and the wheel is pressed onto the shaft. They can be a bugger to separate if they are rusted together. Wrenchbender posted a good way to separate them.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

yeah I saw what Wrench wrote... just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks folks.

-W

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
4-5-6, thanks for that part number... that is the new motor I wound up getting...

... now if I can get that cage off and back on without destroying it!

-W


Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
ok... using the excellent tip from Wrenchbender Ret.(thanks WT!), I got the cage loose... take the nut off, hold or have someone else hold the fan, then tap on the shaft... once it is flush, use a punch or a small screwdriver, etc.. to tap it on through. pop. It is off. Yay.

An issue I had with the replacement motor: the replacement motor(from the parts stores - Siemens VD0 PM102) is longer/deeper and did not want to go back into the heater housing space with the fan on. This is a problem.

I didn't want to pull the entire heater core again so I did some thinking.

This is what wound up working...

I took my new motor and plugged it in and laid it down on the fender and the exhaust manifold so that it would get a good ground... why? To test it and make sure it works before I went through all of this hassle... it zoomed along nicely. OK, turn it all off, unplug it and let the aggravation begin...

I looked at the old fan and the new fan... lined up the holes that were used and I marked the ones I needed to use on the new motor with a white paint pen(which I had laying around, cuz it is handy for touching up the white grill on a beat up truck, but I digress)...

I removed the cage fan from the motor. I put the cage fan up into the housing and slightly on the bench inside so it wouldn't fall back down, then I wiggled the motor into the space, dropped the fan back down onto the shaft and then had a slight tussle with trying to get it to line up on the shaft. Then you have to wiggle the nut onto the end of the shaft with yer fingers and not really being able to see it(use the force!) and run it down finger tight.

Once it was lined up and dropped down, there was not a lot of room, so I leaned the motor at an angle, with the cage fan still stuck partly in the housing, and used a small crescent wrench to slip in and tighten the nut down onto the shaft.

I found that putting in the first screw, in the hole on the motor, which faces the front of the truck, gives a nice pivot point to work the other two side front holes for putting it all back into the housing.

I used a ratchet, 1/4 deep well socket (space issues) one short extension and 1/4 regular socket, depending on which screw I was running in.

Remember to plug the fan connecter back in on the back!

Maybe all of that will be useful to someone in the future if they are stuck doing this.

It blows the air real strong through the ducts now... whoo hoo.

-W

EDIT : this issue with the blower motor not sliding back up and in may only be an issue because of the later model v8(1992 block 350/5.7L) in my truck, I dunno. That is what is in there, so that is what I had to deal with. It may not be an issue in a 327 truck or a inline six, I don't know... but, thought I'd mention it, in case.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0