The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (lumbersawyer, 78buckshot), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,474
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#425401 06/21/2008 9:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Does anyone know, or know where I can find, the towing capacity of a 1971 C-20?
Thanks
Ken

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
A lot depends if it was std or automatic. In those days automatics really weren't cooled very well and weren't designed for much towing. If it's a standard, it's kind of a common sense thing. If you have enough radiator to keep it cool and enough brakes to stop it, you should be ok. A 3/4 ton should have deep enough rears to pull what you want to pull.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
It will tow MUCH more weight than the brakes will stop safely. What engine are you running? My 72 C-10 with a 350 4-barrel and a turbo 350 trans would handle 7,000 lbs. easily, but I had to have good trailer brakes and plan ahead for stopping with a max load. If you've got the 3/4 ton suspension and rear axle, pulling power won't be a factor, but those drum brakes will get you into dangerous territory in a hurry!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks for the replies. It has 350 with a TH350. That 7000 pound range was my guestimation as well. The discs on the front sure help with the stopping power. Reason for my question is a friend of mine has the truck in Sweden and he is trying to find something kind of official to show the people at the inspection station when he goes to register it in Sweden. Seems they have minimal knowledge of info on older trucks.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
There is a wealth of info on the 1971 Chevy trucks at the Old Car Manual site.
The problem I found was that I had trouble reading some of the spec pages. They were a little blurry.
You might have a look, they are the original brochures from 1971.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=48202


"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks for the link. Great info on that site. I am new to this forum, but I really appreciate the replies and help I've gotten. Thanks again. Ken

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
Here is a bit of trivia from Sweden. In Sweden any trailer that will be pulled by a car (or pickup) has a max legal speed about 50 mph and must have brakes, and every such trailer (especially the brakes)are inspected every two years. The towing vehicle itself has a rated towing capacity from the factory primarily based on the weight of the towing vehicle, the towing capacity of a vehicle has less to do with the size of the engine or capacity of the tranny.
My own 53 1/2 ton is rated to pull a total weight of about 2,800 lbs, that means the total weight of the trailer and load and that the trailer has of course brakes and has passed inspection.
But before I would ever pull such a trailer, I would have to install a proper hitch with 12 volt electrical connections, and that would also have to be inspected. Won't happen on my ´53...


It may not be the easy way, but it is the Cowboy Way - Ranger Doug
Beware of the stories you read or tell; subtly, at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are altering your world. - Ben Okri
1953 Chevy 3100
1960 Volvo PV 544
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Where did you find the info regarding how much you can tow with your '53? That is what I am looking for is a rating from the factory. Thanks, Ken

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
I looked again, that rating is the max weight I can pull on a trailer with a normal drivers license (the total weight of truck, trailer, load cannot exceed 4500 kg). I was given this figure when I registered and inspected the truck in Sweden.
But I do believe they base the towing ratings on the weight of the towing vehicle. I believe they will allow a vehicle to tow a little less than the gross weight, total weight of vehicle with max load. That is unlikelý to be anywhere near 7000 lbs.
Is your friend fluent in Swedish? If I can help, send me a PM.
Karl


It may not be the easy way, but it is the Cowboy Way - Ranger Doug
Beware of the stories you read or tell; subtly, at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are altering your world. - Ben Okri
1953 Chevy 3100
1960 Volvo PV 544
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Thank you all, I finally got the problem taken care of.
Ken


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0