The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (JW51, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, UtahYork, Rusty Rod, Ponchogl), 271 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,129
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Just picked up a vintage Airguide compass for my truck and I'm trying to get the light to work. The compass supposedly takes an AAA battery. The problem I'm having is that the AAA battery won't slide into the end cap. The original instructions call for a Burgess #7 or Eveready #912 battery. These batteries were zinc carbon type batteries. Is it possible that the Burgess #7 or Eveready #912 were a smaller diameter that the modern day AAA alkaline batteries? This compass also says it requires a 1.1V .22 Amp penlight bulb. The only replacement bulbs I can find are 2.33-2.5V penlight bulbs that require 1.5V batteries to operate. Anyone know where I might find the low voltage penlight bulbs? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
old battery devices frequently were neglected for long periods, resulting in leaking dead batteries corroding the battery tray, yours may have a corrosion layer reducing size

"vintage" zinc carbon batteries were not a different size than modern AAA's and Eveready 912's are available

odd size bulbs also available

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Bill,

Thank you for your help and the links concerning the 912 battery and the bulbs for my Airguide compass. A lot of useful information!!

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
A note of interest.
Old carbon zinc batteries were not magnetic.
Any new style has a magnetic case and can have a major effect on the accuracy of the compass.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Jim,

Thank you for the note of interest! Understood! I did find a 4 pack of CHEAP China made batteries at DG that did not have a steel case. Trimmed 1/32" of paper from the top of the battery as noted in the original instructions....and the light works perfectly! Now I just have to make the appropriate adjustment to the compass for accuracy.

Thanks again to you and Bill!!

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
5
Moderated
Moderated
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
Tim. I am new to Stovebolt and I have the EXACT same issue as you did. I have the same Airguide Compass and I need a battery that will fit in the tube. You said that you finally found some batteries from china (a 4 pack). I wanted to ask if you could send me a link to where I could find that same battery (compatible in size to the old Eveready #912 or Burgess #7). I would so appreciate it. I would have messaged you directly but I am new and Stovebolt would not allow me yet.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
fixit1958 has not been here in two years, I doubt he will see this. Maybe someone else can help with this 7 year old thread.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Martin Thanks for the tip-off I sometimes get worked-up about outdated threads,guess there is no way to delete them ??

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Why delete them? There's good information in a lot of them.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Originally Posted by EchoBravoSierra
Why delete them? There's good information in a lot of them.

Exactly

But........ it’s “almost” always better to start your own thread instead of bringing up a London dead one.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
5
Moderated
Moderated
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
Well, I'm certainly glad that y'all have seen my post out here stranded on a deserted island. I'd appreciate any insight to my battery need. I will keep looking on the internet but it sure would be nice to know exactly where and what to get. Have a nice day.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0