The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (papas52, fonz8261, 39Master85, Phak1), 111 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,625
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201330 02/17/2006 5:45 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Hey guys,

The question is, should I go with a 3.42 or a 3.73 behind my T5.

I've run the numbers for 65mph, 30" tire diameter,.72 5th with 4th gear @ 2490rpm and 5th @ 1793rpm. Engine is currently stock 55-235 but will be getting a cam, headers and dual intake.

If I went to a 3.73@65mph, 4th@ 2715rpm, 5th @ 1955rpm.

Any suggestions or comments on where my engine would be the happiest? I don't want to be lugging down and downshifting at overpasses but also don't want to turn unnecessary revs. The specs show the max torque developed at 2000 rpm but specs can't compare with personal experience from someone who has driven one of these combo's.

Any input you can offer sure will be deeply appreciated.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#201331 02/17/2006 8:07 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I would lean towards the 373 so you'd still have good pull out of the hole, and yet, 2K is not that wound up. If you are not hauling big loads, then you could go with the 342 and then downshift to 4th when you had the occasional load if it seems to lug.

#201332 02/17/2006 1:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Depending on what rear-end you have in your truck the ratio choices may be limited. If you have the stock 54 rear-end in your truck, I believe the only choice you will have is a 3.55:1 ratio.

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#201333 02/17/2006 2:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
Quote
Originally posted by cujo8:
Depending on what rear-end you have in your truck the ratio choices may be limited. If you have the stock 54 rear-end in your truck, I believe the only choice you will have is a 3.55:1 ratio.

Jim
He's swapping rear ends as the T5 will only work with an open driveline.

I'd go for the 3.73s. That way won't lug down if you are in 5th running 55 and encounter any kind of load (hill).

#201334 02/17/2006 7:42 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
With an overdrive tranny, I'd go with the 3.73 for sure. I have a 3.90 with an overdrive and like it just fine.

#201335 02/17/2006 9:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i have nova rearend with a 2.73 yes 2.73 and i like it just fine with my t-5. ron btw it is a daily driver.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
#201336 02/18/2006 5:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Thanks guys...I really appreciate the input.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#201337 02/19/2006 7:19 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
this should set you straight. I think your numbers are showing a much lower rpm than reality.
although florida is pretty flat but you have a couple of things to consider; elevation, style of driving habits, towing, road conditions, terrain (mountains vs flat).
I'm running a 292 in a 3100 w/T5 and 3.40:1
see: eek grin
http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010333;p=1#000000


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#201338 02/19/2006 3:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
Jim,

Why are his numbers showing a much lower rpm than reality? The math is simple, based on his inputs, his calculations are correct.
He is using 30 inches for his tire height
He is using .72 for his fifth gear

You show some smilies with a link to some calculations that you made with 28.5 inch tires and a .74 fifth gear (effective running a lower gear if the rear ends were the same in your two trucks).

And, you are running a 292 which is a lot more power across a wider range than a 235 so you can get away with a higher (numerically lower) gear.

Not sure how that will set Dave straight or that he even needed setting straight, he asked for suggestions and personal experiences.

I'll take a stab here and say that based on the info provided by Jim and assuming he is happy, he thinks should go with the 3.73s since his truck uses shorter tires (lower gearing) and has a more powerful engine than your 235.

Chris

#201339 02/20/2006 4:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Hey Jim & Chris,

Thanks for the response.

What I'm looking for is someone who can tell me the rpm range where the 235 operates the most efficiently. I guess you could call it the "sweet spot rpm" where the vacuum comes up and the little engine just kind of purrs along.
Every engine has this spot someplace over the power band. I was hoping to get a 235/T5 driver to give me some specific RPM's so I can make the adjustment before I lock in on the diff.

With max torque at 2000 rpm's I guess I'll just go with the 3.42 posi w/discs and keep the 3.73 in reserve.

Thanks again,

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#201340 02/20/2006 11:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
You upped the ante! Disc brakes and a posi on the 3.42 or open and drums on the 3.73? I'd have the 3.42 with discs and live with having to downshift occasionally.

Like you said 2000 rpm is your peak torque, that is why I suggested the 3.73s with 30 inch tall tires, you can still run in 5th at 55. 65 mph will be a nice smooth cruise and should hold speed just fine.

I ran a t5 in my coupe with 27 inch tall tires and 3.38s in the rear with a 54 235, HEI, 2 bbl carb and split exhaust. It would lug in a little bit in 5th around 55 miles per hour if you needed to climb a hill or pass someone. Went to a V8 and automatic.

#201341 02/22/2006 1:22 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
I'll give you that 4.3
these calculations are from that site i listed (see link) and had nothing to do w/ an engine (they do not list/ask your preference of engines) only transmissions and a rear end ratio. You could plug in any combination you want, hit the calculate button and make your own determinations. if you do not know the exact tire dia, they calculate it also.
my 6 lug 235/75/15 calculated to 28.75''. pressure and tire maintainance made a difference also.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#201342 02/22/2006 1:39 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I have a blazer rear end, s-10 transmission and 2:73 rear gear,,,235 engine,848 heads,etc in my 52.My area is mostly flat,, I run mostly in fourth around 2,200 or a little above, this is close to 60 mph,, I shift into 5th about 65,,works fine for me,, on a real steep hill I may have to shift into fourth, depends how fast I hit it and how steep.. fourth is good crusin for me.... a 3:73 would give you more ump..... I believe when in 5th and 65 or so I am running about 1650 to 1700 rpm. a little higher if I stay in fourth,, I do it both ways,, my tires are 205/75/15......6 lug... good luck with your choice..Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#201343 02/22/2006 5:51 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Hey Guys,

Thanks a bunch!!!

Great numbers! They say "experience is the best teacher.....but it gives you the test first and the lesson after." As you might have guessed this is my first Chevy rebuild and when you get down to the smaller CID engines and the aerodynamics of a cinder block (effectionately stated) you don't have a heck of a lot of leeway!!! LOL I really appreciate your help and expertise....my 54 went to the paint shop yesterday and I hope to have some pix to add to the site soon!

Thanks again, Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0