The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shade Baby, Otto Skorzeny, Dennys28, Mike B, klhansen, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
When I tore apart my 3 speed transmission for a rebuild (1950 GMC 1/2 ton), it did not have the 24 front bearing rear needle bearings (supposed to be 24 of them), or the two needle bearing retaining washers that go between the front and rear rollers. It only had the 14 front bearing front needle bearings. (Sounds confusing without seeing the exploded diagram of the tranny.)However the transmission worked and shifted fine prior to dis-assembly minus the other rollers. The factory manual clearly shows them in there.

I had ordered the small parts kit to overhaul the 3 speed tranny from Jim Carters, and it came with the rear needle bearings that I was missing, but it did not include the retaining washers. I would assume that the kit would have included these washers with the kit since it had replacements for all the other small parts in the transmission.

Does anyone know if these needle bearings and washers are supposed to be in every 3 speed manual trasmission, or are there some sub models that do not use them? As far as I know I am the only one to have over hauled this tranny, so I am under the assumption that it came from the factory without those rear rollers or washers. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I can email a picture of the exploded view of the tranny from the factory service manual if it would help clear up the confusion.

Thanks in advance,
Jake


1950 GMC 1/2 ton - complete frame off restoration
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The double row roller bearing with washers did not start until 1953.
A 1950 trans should only use the 14, 3/16" OD, rollers.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 49
Hey Dave, thanks for the reply. That certainly puts my mind at ease, as I have already re-assembled the tranny. I was hoping not to tear it apart again.

Thanks again,
Jake


1950 GMC 1/2 ton - complete frame off restoration
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Thanks Dave, this answered my question, I opened up my 53 3sp and found double roller bearings. I had 14 of the larger ones, how many of the smaller ones should I have?


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It's been a while since I counted them, but the parts book shows 24.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
The improved SM318 which came out in 53 can be easily identified because it has the 4 lug synchro compared to the 2 lug synchro in the earlier models.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It came to me that my dad had a saying to remember the number of rollers, "two weeks, and two dozen".


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Perfect Thanks!


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0