The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shaffer's1950, Uncles51), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,462
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I was priming the bedside and could not get the paint far enough into where the bed side curl meets the bed side. When I looked it over after it dried, I could see there was maybe 1/4 inch along the length of the side where I couldn't get the paint. Just can't get the correct angle with the spray gun. I brushed it in. I'm not concerned about that because this is the primer. But if there is a better way, I would like to find it before the color coat. Again, your wisdom is appreciated.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
you might just brush that are first and then let the spray cover what it can... Or get a wand with a multi directional tip?


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I haven't seen a wand to use with the spray gun. I did get one with a spray can product from Eastwood that I have used successfully in getting into hard to get at places in the cab. But that wouldn't adapt to a spray gun. How did you spray this area on your truck?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 20
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 20
I'm curious to see some suggestions as well because I have the same problem. I primed my bed two months ago and thought I got that area covered till I set the bed upright to put it away for the winter. Boy was I wrong. When weather allows I will spray the bed sitting upright and see it that works.

Jeremy
1947 1st series


jeremy
1947 Chevy 1st series 1/2 ton


Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Dennis, I personally shoot the area with the Eastwood product you speak of. I like it as it's 'self healing'.
A small wire brush in an extension can snake from both ends to clean it up prior to the Coating.
Then as to the spray shadow you're referring to...
I suggest you start with the bed upside down on saw horses so you can shoot down instead of up.
Second have a strip of cardboard or thin ply cut to easily lay in the corner at a 45* angle to act as a wind dam diverting the 'shadow' further into the roll.

I get those difficult areas covered and dry on a 'set up' day then flip the bed and am good to go for 'paint day'.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 224
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 224
Just looked at my 85'bed same curve as the 54' .... the factory didn't do a v. good job .


" STUCK IN THE '50'S "
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I'll give that a try CASO. How did you get the Eastwood product into the curl? Did you just flip the bed then go along the length from the outside and let it run into the curl or maybe use a longer flexible tube?

Interesting wanderer1955. I'm guessing they have a better priming method though than way back when.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
On mine the curl isn't completely closed so I can slide the hose and nozzle along the 'slit' that runs between pockets.
Again, much easier upside down.

And as you say, the factory didn't fret to much about it.
Remember... the Aloha Stadium in Honolulu was designed to have rust as it's finish coat!


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
I primed mine using a string tied to a sock soaked in primer and pulled it thru a couple of times. Used a piece of PVC to assist. Upside down works better as stated above.. Haven't painted as of yet but thinking I'll do the same with paint then wet sand with fingers as far as I can reach and spray. Like the idea of standing up and spraying down as stated above. Have fun and good luck
Dan

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Hey Dan, that's a good idea too. Let us know how the color coat goes. And yes, having a good time. I'm almost finished with the primer then on to the body filler.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
Turn the fan adjustment on your gun all the way in, use the rifel pattern.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I'll give that a try when I spray the high build primer. Thanks.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I gave the bed cross braces a shot of primer today. Adjusting the fan to the rifel pattern worked great! I never thought about it much. I would just leave it at max fan. Thanks JeffL

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0