The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, Ole49GMC, Otto Skorzeny, DaveV), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,294
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 388
So since I'm swapping engines to a newer (1968) 230 in my 54, I'm in need of some help. I bought it from my buddy, and it came with a flywheel but no clutch.

I measured the flywheel, its a 6-bolt pattern, and a 13.5" diameter from edge to edge (not including the flywheel teeth). I'm sure I could go to NAPA with the flywheel and find one, but I just thought I'd ask for some tips/recommendations!

Not looking to race/heavy tow/anything like that... just a driver quality!

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Probably 9.5 or 10 inch. Just ask for one for a 1968 230, just check the spline count on the input shaft on transmission and clutch.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
You could use a 10.5 or 11. As noted check splines on input shaft(should be 10). I would recommend getting a diaphragm style pressure plate. Make sure you get the correct throw out bearing. You should get all the clutch linkage put together before you install transmission.

Last edited by don stocker; 12/25/2013 9:08 PM.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You will need to use the size clutch the flywheel was setup for. You could measure the size of the wear paturn on the flywheel.
Like Don says, make sure the TO brg. matches the pressure plate.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0