Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (TooMany2count, 55shaker, klhansen, Phak1, 3800GUY, Gdads51, 1 invisible),
75
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,138 Posts1,056,440 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 14 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2001 Posts: 14 | Does anyone know where I can find a heater core for a 1953 Chevrolet truck? Mine is leaking. The radiator shop tells me they can't repair it. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 40 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 40 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Is it a deluxe heater? If so, there are replacement cores available, just not widely available. I know because my radiator man recored mine. He said that only one place in the US was making those cores, and that place was in Maine. Needless to say, it was not exactly cheap. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2000 Posts: 60 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2000 Posts: 60 | Melvin, Check with bowtie bits, the last time i was there he had about 500 + heater assy's & parts. 1.888.838.6887 [email protected]TRUCKMAN
FRAMEUP TRUCKS - 47/55.1ST STILL PLAYING WITH TRUCKS | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 17 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 17 | Maine Radiator in Lewiston Maine may be able to help you out. They carry complete cores. Not sure if they will sell to an individual though might have to have some business like Radiator or body shop. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 129 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 129 | I'm surprised that your radiator shop can not send it out to be re-cored.
When I took my heater core from my 59 GMC into a small town rad shop they tested it, told me it was unrepairable and that a re-core would be $100 and they would have it in tomorrow if that is what I wanted to do. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 14 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: May 2001 Posts: 14 | Thanks to everyone that responded. I'll check these out. Thank You | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 | Melvin I have a heater core.  I will part with it.
dan-pa
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 | Golden State Parts have heater cores for sale. http://www.golden-state-parts.com/
1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | I couldn't find any heater cores in Golden State's online catalog - only a bunch of expensive heaters. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | If you search for the thread on this, there is a place in the new England area that sells the cores. I am talking about the round cores. I did my own repair because the local rad shop was no help and I didn't want to spend the money for a new one. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Oh - I was talking about the deluxe square heater core. A local rad shop wanted over $100 for a new one, which seemed a bit ridiculous to me - it is only a little bitty radiator, not a block of gold. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Just for comparison, I think the new cores for the round ones cost around $300, if I remember correctly. That is for a non deluxe heater which does not bring in fresh air! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 343 | Golden State Parts 2004-5 catalog has heater cores on page 44, but they are not too cheap either. They range in price from $225 to $300 and all require a refundable $50 core charge. If you are interested I could scan the page and send it to you via email. I found a heater core on ebay for my Fresh Air Heater, which is supposed to fit 51-55 heaters. The heater-core for this type heater goes for $225 + core at GS.
1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 7 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 7 | I made my own round heater core out of flexible copper tubing and some other copper pipe parts, angles and T's. It works okay, good enough to keep the cab on my '51 3100 comfortable. And it will never leak again. Just installed and test drove it but did not run up to full speed. It may work better when I get the water hotter. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 | I have a '55 1st series with a fresh air heater. My radiator shop ordered a new core from somewhere on the east coast. It cost me $219 for the repair. Nothing like having a good heater in the winter. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | I have found some of the old Harrison heaters, 47-53 at swap meets, most of the time for under $20 or so. It's a risk but at least you get the heater core. Checked at an older radiator shop in Ft Worth, the old man knew what I was talking about(the round core) said no charge for checking for leaks, and about $35 for a repair job. Something to keep in mind rather than spending big bucks for a repo core. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 49 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 49 | classic parts america has them for 170 as does chevs of 40s for same price.
has anyone bought one? who made it?
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | As was asked in your other post: For what style heater? For what year heater? | | |
| |