The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#991033 12/06/2013 10:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Hi, I finally doing something about my project and I am pumped. I know exactly what I want it to look and sound. My 66 pickup will soon be having an engine rebuild and Im considering having the 3 speed put on the floor. I'd like to have the engine juiced up and I figure the floor shifter would make for faster shifting. Would there be anybody with advice on this matter?


WolfeCustom

Built this Chevy on Rock'n'Roll
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
My last 3 trucks 55,56 and 57, back in the late 70's had the 3 speed with an after mkt shifter on the floor. I used the old tried and true original 3 speed transmission that came in the and they latterly caught hell. So yes it's done and will work.

O yeah I'm going to do it again with my 58 gmc. This time I'll give it a little more hp than the old 283s that I use to use. Larry

Last edited by LarryW; 12/07/2013 12:10 AM.

58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
I wouldn't use the SM318 behind any thing much more than a 283 unless your very easy on the pedal. I replaced the sliding gear 2 or 3 times in a 64 Impala with a stock 300hp 327. I'd look for a latter all synchro 3spd. If you still have the stock rear axle find one with the overdrive.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
If you are looking for performance, a close ratio 3 speed would be ideal.

http://www.smileysracing.com/shopping/?page=1&ic=1574

Check out this link. Good deal on shifter

http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/MR-Gasket-7667A-Street-Shifter-3-Speed-Manual-Floor-Shifter.html


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0