Don't know if the bezels on your '50 are like my '54 ...
I crimped the new reproduction chrome bezels when I refurbished the gauges on my '54. I crimped the tabs, plus I bent the edge of the bezel opposite the tabs. I wouldn't crimp the edge if I did the job again, and I probably wouldn't bend the tabs as much as I did. It's just one more thing to screw up or to pop the chrome. Too much crimp makes it difficult to separate if you need to work on the gauges again / too little may cause the cluster to fall apart when removing.
You can hold the bezel and glass to the housing with blue tape while you insert the cluster into the dash.
I crimped the tabs on the bezels with narrow pliers. Protect new paint on housing with blue tape.
> Crimp in progress> Crimp completedGauge refurbish album. I didn't have the confidence to reface the odometer.
> Gauge refurbish albumI can't help you with the gas gauge needle touching the glass. My 12v 1954 reproduction gas gauge is "taller" than the original, but it doesn't touch the glass. I was not successful in bending the supports. I stopped fearing that I would break it. That was a new experience ... I usually break something, then buy another.
- Lonnie