Thought I'd post this for the benefit of any other wayward stovebolter that decides to renew their Huck brakes as I did instead of swapping them out for more modern stopping power.
I went totally through the brake system on my 49 3100. New master cylinder, 2 new rear wheel cylinders, rebuilt both front wheel cylinders and all new brake lines. I went with good quality parts from on-line parts houses that advertise here with the exception of the shoes, I got them locally at O Reilly's. My dwindleing Funds dictated that mainly because those shoes were atleast half price if not more.
The brakes pumped up good and had plenty of stopping power but they squeaked from day 1. I didn't turn the drums but I did sand them to shine them up so I thought they were squealing because of that. Subsequent internet searches here & there indicated that turning the drums would not solve it.
Well I took the son of the original owner for a ride the other day and he remarked that he didn't recall thoses brakes squealing like that so I decided to try something.
When I pulled the wheels the shoes looked like thay had dark streaks on them and also looked stained. They were dry as a bone tho.
I took a paint stripping wheel and resurficed the shoes ubtil they looked brand new and also roughed up the drum surface alittle, almnost giving the appearance of a crosshatch.
I repacked the bearings and put it back together and they are as quiet as any modern brake system made

I'm going to guess that the shoes either wore in a 'hard spot" when 1st used or they came from the store with some kind of coating on them. It may be advisable to rough them up alittle when you put new shoes on.
Oh, to hear how bad they were just check out the cruising vid in my sig, at the end when I brake at a stop sign.
Dave