The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (J Lucas, Eileen, Mike'sPlace), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#989008 11/27/2013 2:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Team I have a wobble at about 45 mph a funny vibration starts and fades once I slow down. I am new and not sure where to look first. I have the 2 piece with the enclosed front half and open back,, any ideas? thanks

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
thanks denny at least im not crazy,,, I do plan to play around with the drive shaft this winter sometime and if I get lucky I will let you know, thanks for taking to time to share. PS I have also gone through the tires and rims and am now on new steel rims with radials .

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Have y'all checked driveline angles and u-joint phasing as recommended by the Spicer driveshaft manual found in this tech tip.
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/driveline/setup/index.html

Just a guess but perhaps not enough angle on the first shaft, setting the joints in that first shaft out of phase might make a difference... just a guess, read the manual, check the angles, and see if anything looks likely.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Two piece drive shaft will shake like crazy if the slip joint is worn. One piece drive shaft will do the same. If you have checked the "U" joints and the carrier bearing I would look at the slip joint for wear. That allows a wobble to set up in the joint itself. That wobble is worse under load so you might not see it with the truck up off the wheels. We just did this on a 57 1/2 ton. Looked at all the other stuff. Wheel bearings, helped did not fix. Yep we did front and rear. New tires, helped did not fix. New shocks, all four, helped but did not fix. Grease gun on every darn zerk we could find...no joy. New "U" joints and a seal for the front yoke, no change. My buddy was not happy about the money spent and I was tired out. Final idea was the slip joint. Lucky for us we have a good shop in town they cut the old joint out and welded a brand new one in then balanced it. Truck is smooth strong and quiet up to 65 which is as far as the owner will push it. Good news is he has clean fluid in the rear and transmission that was really needed. He is now happy and I am out from under that truck. Good luck with yours.


Steve H
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
yes its still there,,, you may be right but I think it is the shaft, either u joint or in the middle where front and rear meet,, I read elsewhere here that someone had the same prob and it was the rear shaft and had to have it replaced,, they found a good shaft shop who made a new one. will let you know when it get around to it

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
steve H I think you pegged it.. that's where I going to look next.. thanks , my 48 came from Utah and had a one owner,,
thanks again

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
Has anyone checked their flywheel to crankshaft surfaces?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am interested in knowing how much play is too much in the slip joint spline. Mine has has some but not a lot.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0