The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,357
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
There has to be a better and less expensive way of doing the shackles and springs pins.

Has anyone worked out some alternative sources and/or parts to hang the leaf springs?

I have the original shackles but need bushings and bolts and the bushings/pins for the other side of the springs.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Better and less expensive way than what? They're not terribly expensive to purchase or hard to replace unless I'm missing something?

For pushing the bushings out and back in I've had great luck with a "ball joint press" Here's a cheap one but you can also rent/borrow them from some auto parts stores, or spend a little or a lot more money on a nicer one.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Ball-Joint-Press-with-4WD-Adapters-P43755.aspx


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
I have none of the pins or bushings or bolts. It was all cut out. I just have thew shackle bars.

So, needing new shackled, bushings, pins, etc is about $200 or so.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Well what can you do? If you where going to up grade the suspension to a IFS or the rear to a 4 link its going to cost lots more. I am in the process of doing mine and found my eyelet bolts bushings were only half there because of I think someone did not grease it on time so its better off to replace them. warn bushing Then I know I can start off fresh with new components.

Here's a tool That I used and it only cost me about 10 bucks at the hardware store. Thanks to another stovebolter's homemade tool. cool homemade tool to remove bushings

Since the holidays are coming if you get on some of these parts suppliers mailing list they are starting to send me discounts.


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by Tiny_Jaime
Well what can you do? If you where going to up grade the suspension to a IFS or the rear to a 4 link its going to cost lots more. I am in the process of doing mine and found my eyelet bolts bushings were only half there because of I think someone did not grease it on time so its better off to replace them. warn bushing Then I know I can start off fresh with new components.

Here's a tool That I used and it only cost me about 10 bucks at the hardware store. Thanks to another stovebolter's homemade tool. cool homemade tool to remove bushings

Since the holidays are coming if you get on some of these parts suppliers mailing list they are starting to send me discounts.

There's not much to do. I took my axle to a spring shop today to get the pins pressed out (only took a 50 ton press!) and we looked over all their parts and what they could order. Everything was on par with the cost of kits available from CPP, etc.

That is a cool tool - you could use it in reverse to push bushing in!

Good idea about the mailing lists. Going to do that right now.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 162
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 162
So are you talking about the shackle bushings or the king pins?

Mitch

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
I'm talking about shackle bushing, which they have at the spring shop I was at to get my king pins pressed out of the spindles.

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 367
Having shopped around and looked around everywhere it really does seem the most inexpensive and best way to go is to buy repo shackles and spring bolts.

I looked at poly bushings but couldn't find any in the dimensions I need and most of the manufacturers note to use bushings that are made for a specific vehicle and that they shouldn't be used because they might fit dimensionally.

BUT I did luck out and found a bunch of NOS bolts and bushings on Ebay to use with my stock shackle bars so hopefully it'll all go together well.

FYI HF sells a box of zirts for $5.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0