The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Donf, 46 Texaco, Southerntruck, Nick in Manitou, Hotrod Lincoln, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Been looking at a guide brand hand operated spotlight for my 1949 flatbed. It intrigues me and isn't a bad price for the condition. I'm just not sold on the look or the installation.

Were these common on trucks of the era? What would it have been used for? Would it look out of place on an old farm truck? And how difficult is it to install? Not sure I am too keen on punching a large hole in my a-pillar, but I've also thought they were neat.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
I just installed a unity S-6 on my 50

Not sure if its one of the safety lights used but it looks just like the one in the accessory Manual

There is a Appleton spot light in the for sale section.

Just make sure whatever you get has all the brackets, outside and inside.

You'll have to drill a 1/2 hole in your A pillar
Luckily for me the hole was already in my truck.

I like the look of them on the AD trucks

I have a pic of my Dad driving an AD flat bed in ...1956...
No spot light, but it did have a visor and the turn signal on the back of the cab. so I bet the old work trucks did get the accessory s needed.

Good luck

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 50
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 50
My 52 has one but it is mounted behind the driver up high to apparently light up the bed and behind the truck for night work.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Well, the auction has moved outside of my price range for that little toy, especially since I'm still not sold on the idea of putting one on it. Guess its for the best. I can put that money on paint and parts!

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
In the 1960's, we used a SpotLight to hunt jackrabbits. Even though we were "10 ft tall and bullet proof" then, a few young people were injured or even killed while "spotting" rabbits in unknown hay fields etc not knowing about the drainage ditch in field or over over drove the the range of the spot/ headlights or running from the law. Jerry



Jerry
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

They were used for deer-spotting when I lived down south.

The danger of ditches, stumps, and streams were even greater when hooch was involved.


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0