The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (WICruiser), 209 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
I purchased a 12 volt booster back for emergencies Its a nice unit, small and weighs 11 lbs. the specs are 12 volts, 600 amp peak and 300 amp starting power. If i treat this booster like a 12 volt battery and use it as I have read in the other threads it should be safe to use it on a 6 volt battery when needed????
Question 2 I have access to an old dwell tach meter is that a good thing to have. Its one of those hand held units...... $30.00 us... thanks again People and have a good New year. Peter.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 125
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 125
cant say for sure but I think if used carefully the booster should work ok on 6V systems. I'm sure others will give more advice.
As for the "old" dwell tach, if "old" doesnt equate to readouts that cant be trusted I would say OK. A dwell tach is valuble when working with point type distributors, tuning carburators, etc. Might be an idea to price a "new" dwell tach first. May find the cost for "new" is worth more than the saving buying "old".
good New Year to you too...
Carl


'58 3600 350/4-sp/stepside/big window cab
'59 3100 235/4-sp/stepside
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
Yes, a dwell/tach meter is a good thing to have. Actually, its a must thing to have as well as a timing light if you're going to be doing your own work.
They are tools, just like any other tool and the correct one is always the best one.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Peter,

I remember having a Tach/Dwell hand held meter..I think it was a KAL brand..all chrome and quite ergonomic. Make sure the meter will work with your intended voltage and number of cylinders.

Stuart


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0