Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (CuzzFuzz),
83
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,423 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I'm curious if anyone has had carb parts zinc plated when doing a carb overhaul? Or any other small parts zinc plated? Thanks Don | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | The guy who used to make the Demon brand of carbs used solid zinc to prevent porosity. I don't know of any one plating aluminum with zinc although I can't think of why it would not work. The usual issues with plating would come in to play including environmental ones. Carb parts are small and precise and that might be a bigger issue. Might be a good idea to save a pitted body. No one is making them any more. Any thoughts out there?
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Be VERY careful with this.. I had an experience I am almost embarrassed to admit.. I had barrels of steel parts zinc plated and in that batch was carb parts. Turns out, when I got them back, they were all MELTED and unusable. The metal they used for the roch b's are NOT compatible with the normal zinc process.
If you find a way to plate carb parts, let me know!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I am referring to replating the original steel parts and screws that were originally plated. Not the body of the carb. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Should be no problem with the steel parts but you will get to chase all threads with a die to make them fit. Learned that the hard way too. Why I bought my very first tap and die set. Thank you Orange County plating. About 1971. That should make some one smile. I just had to have some chrome on that old Harley, Just had to. 
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | When we were still restoring carbs, we used original type finishes on all of the carburetor components, since 1974.
Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | SO if you want your carb body plated, where do you go? The pot metal they use melts during the normal plating process, so there must be something I am not telling the plater. What do I ask for?
I really don't want to resort to Eastwood Carb paint. Maybe its just me, but putting paint on a gasoline management system just doesn't compute. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | So if the original roch carb isn't plated, you can just polish the finish back to its original glory? Im confused. | | |
| |