The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Pete1946, Gib70, Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,371
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 99
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 99
Last week I was happily cruising down route 3 in MA in my '55 GMC 3/4 ton w 270 (not stock engine for that ear, but its what is there.) at 55 mph. Suddenly, there are a couple spaced out huge backfires, the engine quits, and i coast to the side. She won"t start, spins fast and spectacularly back fires thru the carb. We get towed home, and i am figuring that 1985 Nitrophyl float has had it. Or maybe the main fuel jet fell out again into the fuel bowl.

Took carb apart, a Holley 1904/1960 single barrel, everything looked normal except the carbon in the horn. Got an NOS brass float and needle/seat assembly from ebay, put it all together, and still same gig. no run, backfire.

i am wondering what could fail suddenly like that...valve timing engine timing..will check that next. Thoughts?

Last edited by Dave Douglas 56; 11/09/2013 7:13 AM. Reason: wrong date on float

Well, my time went so quickly,
I went lickety-splitly
Out to my ol' 55.
As I pulled away slowly,
Feelin' so holy,
God knows, I was feelin' alive..... Tom Waits, Ol' 55
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
First thing I would look at is the distributor, if that checks out then the valve train.


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
sounds like a timing gear

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
Continue w/the easy checks. Pull each plug and examine, they can usually tell you if theres an internal problem.
Make sure the ign system is right, check points rotot, dist cap, wires and check/reset static timing.

If all checks out, pull the valve cover and inspect. Make sure they all open/close when spinning the engine. Theres several likely causes up here.

Good luck
Dave

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
When you said she spins fast,take the valve cover off I'll bet it's the timming gears.

Pete

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Timing gear would get my vote.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Since we are voting, I too vote for timing gear/chain.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 99
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 99
Well, do I have a story. I took out all the plugs. They looked very good. I then took off distributor cap, turned engine by hand, rotor moved. Took off valve cover, turned engine, valves moved, proper sequence, went thru several cycles, head scratching starting.....then I touched the rotor. Now a key piece of data is I had been driving in a field earlier that day, and a relatively non gearhead friend had suggested that might be the problem. She was right. The rotor spun freely. I took it off, and noted scratch marks on the locating nub inside the rotor where it locks with the shaft. I got out my old old distributor cap, (never throw old parts away) and noted that the central electrical contact extended almost a quarter of an inch farther into the cap than on the new one...and the rotor had been contacting the cap contacts at their lowermost edges...the rotor had popped up enough to stop turning with the distributor shaft, was arcing on one contact, and when ever gas went into that cylinder, BOOM, regardless of valve position. No timing. None. I cleaned up the rotor, put it back, locked it into the distributor shaft, put the old old cap back on, fired her up and she roared to life. Warmed up, purred like a kitten. Idling better actually with that new float.
I got a new cap and rotor from NAPA, and noted that the new rotor has the locating nub, but also instead of a round hole, the shaft casting has a triangular shape, so the rotor is locked by the nub and slot as well as the shaft....this has happened before. The center contact spring is also stiffer. The new cap has the center contact similarly recessed the way my malfunctioning one was, but i felt the stiffer spring and triangular hole would make up for it. For now i am running the old rotor and old old cap. And I am a happy camper. Everyone sensing a complete lack of timing was correct. This experience was a lesson in carefully proceeding to investigate problems in an unhurried and observant way.

Thanks for the responses, they gave me structure to check things out in a way that found an unbelievably simple problem that likely started bouncing in the field that morning.

Dave


Well, my time went so quickly,
I went lickety-splitly
Out to my ol' 55.
As I pulled away slowly,
Feelin' so holy,
God knows, I was feelin' alive..... Tom Waits, Ol' 55

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0