Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,387 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 | I have a 52 1/2 ton with the original 216. I disconnected my exhaust pipe to replace the leaking donut. As soon as I did that, the truck became VERY hard to start. It fires right away, but immediately dies, no matter what I do with the choke or the throttle. Would disconnecting the exhaust pipe have caused this?
Thanks.
My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Shouldn't. Could part of the throttle linkage have been moved out of place? Perhaps pulling on the butterfly in the carb making it close?
But it should run fine without the exhaust pipe, just be a little loud. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | why would the exhaust have anything to do with starting? is it still disconnected? "VERY hard to start" meaning it eventually started or hasn't since the exhaust work? still 6V or converted to 12? have you checked if it's getting gas?
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 | It eventually starts. Still 6 volt. I'm pretty sure it's getting gas because when it doesn't start right away, it acts like it's flooded, and I have to wait awhile before it will fire again. But I will verify and also check the throttle linkage.
My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 | Check your ground circuit to be sure it's not using the exhaust pipe for a ground. It really shouldn't be if the pipe is using rubber hangers, but you never can tell.
I suspect you are dealing with two different issues, the pipe should have no effect on starting.
Joe
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | When I redid my exhaust (split manifold and 2.25" pipe) I had to tune my carburetor. Someone even suggested that I'd have to re-jet it. The couple times I started it with no pipes I found it hard to keep running. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | It might change the flow a bit...but not too much. It will be very LOUD and that will make you shut it down real fast. Look for any linkage issues while it is out of the way. Check the grounds as has been suggested, and put it back on so the neighbors won't complain. 
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | The improperly installed exhaust on an old truck of mine fell off on the highway and was destroyed. For the next week the truck was very hard to start and acted like it was cold blooded. The mechanic that installed my new exhaust told me the hard starting was due to very low back pressure. After the new exhaust was installed the truck would start right up and run great. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 | I'm going to be hooking the exhaust pipe back up next Monday. So I guess we'll see if that makes a difference. I was just wondering if I had two separate problems. I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks for everyone's opinions.
My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | I drove my truck to the muffler shop with nothing more than a set of fenton headers, it had absolutely no effect on how it started. But then again my truck you just basically stomp the pedal to the floor and let it up and it is running. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | On these old trucks the only result of not having the exhaust pipe attached is in the loudness. Should not have any effect on the starting or running of the engine. Mayu run a bit better though if the exhaust system is clogged up.
But it should start with no problem.
| | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2003 Posts: 183 | I found the problem. The spring that wraps around the choke plate shaft had come loose. So the choke was not closing. As soon as I hooked it back up, it started up just fine.
Thanks again to everyone.
My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 331 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 331 | lol...I always get tickled when I read where someone suggests "low back pressure" as the culprit of a problem. That's some funny stuff right there! LMFAO!!
1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | ^ Why? If the exhaust is completely off it could very well be an issue. My bike (4-1 header and a 5" exit on a long megaphone) will fire up with the baffle out but it won't stay running unless I give it a bunch of throttle or open the choke quite a bit. Same thing happened with my truck the other weekend when we had the exhaust off. Fired up but only idles for 10sec or so without the throttle and choke pulled. That right there is "low back pressure as the culprit" However, I do agree that with a proper exhaust system in place, even one that has a sizable leak or decent length pipes but no mufflers, back pressure is rarely an issue. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | 1. Several posters had problems starting after exhaust removal. Fairly good proof it has something to do with it on some trucks. 2. It's really not fooling anyone to say you knew it was not that after you find out it wasn't. Your occupation is "Duh" in your profile. LMFAO
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | the only way removing the exhaust should be able to affect anything, is if it is severely restricted to begin with. Or you get the spring all goobered up... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | ^ I would consider a tiny 1.75" pipe all the way to the back of the vehicle with a big muffler at some point, severely restricted when compared to an open header.
The difference in just starting and continued running depends on how the carburetor is tuned. An unnoticed vac leak could result in a rich tune which could in turn make the truck run in the absence of a proper exhaust. Likewise, a lean tune with no leaks could cause it to stumble and stall when the pipe is removed. In addition, restricting the exhaust at different points with various types of baffles and/or mufflers can change the back pressure to the point that it can alter the tq/hp characteristics of an engine. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 | Back pressure is just BS, there is no reason for it. If the guys designing the engine wanted back pressure, they would have plugged the exhaust ports. Give me a good reason for having any back pressure, or any reason for that matter because I sure can't think of any. Headers are designed to pull the exhaust out as fast as possible. The exhaust pulse from one cylinder pulls the next one inline out with it due to a vacuum made by speeding exhaust gas. This is why cars with headers run lean, they actually pull fuel out of the cylinders when the valves overlap due to cam timing. Open exhaust manifolds do the same just, just not on the same scale as headers. Here is a good read on exhaust pipe sizing. If you will note, a 1 1/2" pipe diameter can support approx. 78 hp. A 1 5/8" can support approx. 98 hp, both with in range of a stock 235 engine. http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/ Joe | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | If it's non turbo, back pressure doesn't do much. Maybe a couple lb/ft of torque. These old trucks are all carb tuning I think.
Last edited by Hollow65; 11/01/2013 4:40 AM.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Just my opinion: No header, only issue would be cold air on the valve guides. That might cause them to distort. Might. Back pressure? Not an issue. We are not talking about "high performance" here. Back pressure from impulse or shock waves? Come on we got around 3,000 RPM to work with. Look at "megaphone" type motorcycle exhaust systems for a reference. Not gonna be an issue here cause it needs to take the whole exhaust pipe length to matter. Exhaust manifold split works cause you shove all 6 into a bent and restricted cast iron pipe. Check it out, 2 90 degree bends plus a small dump for 2 ports and it gets worse for all the rest. Not a "back pressure" issue for sure. It might go a bit lean, better flow, but that would only happen after it started.
Steve H
| | |
| |