The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, tclederman, 3800GUY, walter74, LAROKE, Youngin' Tut 59), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,599
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Are these supposed to spin perfectly when rebuilt? I rebuilt mine with nos rust free shaft, gears and gaskets. The ground side of the idler gear is oriented towards the cover as per the book and payed special attention to all details. Once I got it all together it seems a little bit harder to turn than I expected. So I did it all over again and same thing. It's not rough but just in one spot on every rotation there is a 'high spot' -I don't know does this seem the norm until these break in or..? Thanks in advance, freezerburn

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Anyone had this happen? I don't see any kind of shim in the exploded pump diagram -freezerburn

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Does it turn free without the cover on?
You may need a thicker gasket.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Seems the same without the cover 'Dave -Thanks fb

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I suspect it will wear in.
You might try spinning it in a bucket of oil with a drill first and see if it frees up.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Outstanding man! That will happen today, Sir. I'll post the results and thanks a ton -freezerburn

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Coat the teeth with Prussian Blue, spin the pump for a while, and the tight spot should show up as a shiny area where the bluing has rubbed off. If it's a noticeable area, dress the high point down with a diamond dust needle file. A tiny high spot should wear in pretty quickly.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Thank you for all of the valuable input folks. I ended up taking it back apart and finding exactly where the 'high spot' was and dressing it a tad by either scraping with the edge of my old tool box knife or a very fine file. It now spins true. The thing had apparently been bumped along an edge of one of the teeth in all it's years of sitting in the og paper wrap. I did put it in oil and run it and that was when I 'knew' something was definitely amiss. All is well now and thanks again:) freezerburn


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0