Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (TUTS 59, WICruiser, 1 invisible),
125
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,382 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 | Hey Everyone on this forum! I am just starting a full blown rest-o-mod of my 1950 truck and I will be posting my progress on here with pictures and such! I haven't built a car this old or this custom so I might be asking a lot of questions and if anyone has some advice on how to make this easier then that would be rad! My goal is to get this truck into a daily driver that I can goof off in the mountains with and drive in the snow with out worrying about my safety. I was thinking Dana 44 and transfercase with a Chevy 350 engine and a gm 5speed tranny, all while still keeping a stock look on the truck. If anyone has any ideas on how to help out or if there is a cool way that it can be done let me know and I'll be posting it all up here! Thanks!!!! Here is a link to a pic of the truck right now- https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1186989_10153245686070392_1608611292_n.jpg | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 | Welcome aboard, hope you love this place as much as I do. I'm amazed at the knowledge and quality of trucks here. Seems like there is always someone willing to help out, a great bunch of people with common interest. 1953 Chevrolet 3100261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY GalleryVideo of the 261 running1964 GMC 1000305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 99 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 99 | Derek, Welcome to Stovebolt! Your truck looks like a great start. Read through the past posts, at Stoverbolt you will find almost any type of old truck build you can describe. The 5 speed with a transfercase, NV4500/205? very hard to find, but would be the teets. good luck on your project take your time and enjoy the ride.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 | Thanks for the advice! What truck does that transfer case come off of? I just did a brief search and it showed up as a Dodge transfer case. I do apologize for the ignorance but most of the cars that I have worked on were Corvairs and those are all rear engine and air cooled so there's no drive shafts or any of that stuff. would it be more efficient to try to find a donor truck, or should I just try to gather everything individually? especially with an ultra specific rig that I am putting together? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 | On that transfer case, I just did a search and found it matched with a bunch of diesel trucks and most of them dodge's, something like that would work as long as the bell housing from a 350 smallblock bolts up to the gearbox, right? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 99 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 99 | try searching: Chevy NV4500 NV4500 is a 5speed tranny. 205 is the bullet proof transfercase. ideally a Chevy 1991 crewcab 1ton dually, would be a rare find with a NV4500/205. or here it is in the short form: after 91' Chevy went to the IFS & 4x4 dropped front driveline on the driverside. To get a passenger side drop you would need to built it out of pieces and machine both NV4500 & the 205 to go together. 4x4 NV4500 1991&up, With an advance adapter bellhousing because stock won't work for a passenger side drop. 205 transfercase round pattern off a t400 or sm465, 86'-91' with 32 spline, is a long shaft would need to be a shortshaft. and a few other things like smallheaded ford bolts for the bearing retainer and fab your own transfer case shifter and brackets. https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=841127http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280211
Last edited by Dogs51Burb; 10/04/2013 2:12 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | There's an old guy in town here that drives am early regular cab long box GMC S15 4X4 with a five speed tranny and a 4.3 V6. I've always thought that if that truck came up for sale I would buy it and put my '53 GMC on it. If I got tired of the V6 I could stick a V8 in there. With an S10 or S15 long box you would have the correct wheel base, IFS, 4 wheel drive, power steering, disc brakes, etc. etc., and the wheels would sit inside the fenders for a stock look. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 |
Last edited by twotone; 10/07/2013 4:28 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | There's an old guy in town here that drives am early regular cab long box GMC S15 4X4 with a five speed tranny and a 4.3 V6. I've always thought that if that truck came up for sale I would buy it and put my '53 GMC on it. If I got tired of the V6 I could stick a V8 in there. With an S10 or S15 long box you would have the correct wheel base, IFS, 4 wheel drive, power steering, disc brakes, etc. etc., and the wheels would sit inside the fenders for a stock look. Yep. The S-10 swaps drive and handle awesome as well. I know, I have an original S-10 with a 350 in it, and my '46 is on an S-10 frame.
Last edited by 46gmcpu; 10/07/2013 5:41 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 6 | I have heard a lot of complaints come from the IFS system so I was trying to stay clear of that and hoping to not have to deal with cv joint issues and things of that manner. the reason for thinking of going with a passenger side diff front axle was because I am planning on keeping the brake master cylinder under the cab to keep my firewall as clean as possible. If I went with a driver side diff do you think it will clear the brake so I don't have to do any fab work to the transfer case? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 36 | A series III Landrover would be perfect for this. I bet a 109 would fit like a glove in a longbed. I doubt you guys would be able to get hold of one? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | I have heard a lot of complaints come from the IFS system so I was trying to stay clear of that and hoping to not have to deal with cv joint issues and things of that manner. the reason for thinking of going with a passenger side diff front axle was because I am planning on keeping the brake master cylinder under the cab to keep my firewall as clean as possible. If I went with a driver side diff do you think it will clear the brake so I don't have to do any fab work to the transfer case? I have 250K Kms on my daily driver with IFS 4X4 with no issues, and I live in snowy Alberta where I use 4WD enough. The early ones maybe had more issues, but they're quite dialed in now. I would look towards this route. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 38 | Derek P ,4x4 stock look I like the sound of that !, have you come up with a plan and have you got any photos, good luck with your build. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 56 | I agree, the S-10/S-15 reg cab long bed chassis would be ideal for a daily driver, and it would make the swap MUUUUCH easier for a first build. If I hadn't already done my MII front swap, I would go that route myself.
1947 Chevy 3100 - Shop truck - 250 L6/T5/4.10's 1970 Chevy Camaro - Rotisserie jail
| | |
| |