The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#974464 09/25/2013 10:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
I've seen some posts about moving the gas tank from the cab to under the bed but usually it is at the rear of the truck. I'm looking to put it under/behind the cab and under the bed. I like the filler used on the Dodge Lil Red Express trucks and having it plumbed into the sheet metal just below the bed and just behind the cab. Anyone know of a tank of at least 15 gallons that fit there?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
check out the 80's chevy truck or look at rci fuel cells they make all shapes. then you can have a neck welded in where you need it

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
My guy fans them up any shape or size to fit where you want...uses heavy gauge aluminum. Cost is way less than SS tanks sold commercially.

I may have him one for me just cuz I don't like sitting next to all that gas in the cab...also get fumes in winter with windows closed


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Tanks Inc has polypropylene tanks if you are interested in that type. Check out moff's installation in the HiPo forum here.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ry_id=133/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd83.htm


Drew
DennisM #974715 09/26/2013 10:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Thanks for the replys guys. I want to go the metal route. I know the polypropylene is used all the time but I still feel funny about it. It's in our PT Cruiser though. moff's is so custom, It doesn't really help me to see what would work for me. But, I would like to have all that capacity for sure.

I've thought about having one made too but there is probably something I could adapt. I've got a while before I get to this piece of the puzzle so right now just looking for options.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 269
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 269
Dennis,
I have a '39 and I got my gas tank from Rick's Tanks out of El Paso. The gentlemen from Ricks was working on a '39 as well and already had a tank in the works. It fits behind the rear axle with out any modification, boxing, or removing the rear cross member. It came with side tabs that needed to be welded to the rear frame. If I am not mistaken, it is a 26 gal tank.

Get a hold of Ricks and see what they can do for you. They might be able make a tank to your specs.

I hope you find what you are looking for and keep us updated once you find one that works for you. I'm interested in what you come up with.

Bread
.

Last edited by Bread; 10/08/2013 1:23 AM.

1939 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton
"There and back -- repeat"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 38
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 38

DennisM #975883 10/01/2013 10:25 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Maybe I just like to take the rough road, but I want to place the tank within the side rail toward the cab, not behind the diff. Anyone placed one there?

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
DennisM #975901 10/01/2013 11:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
side rail gas tank relocation

This guy has some great info on what he did. I am not sure if it will work on yours but this is what he did on his task force.

Last edited by Tiny_Jaime; 10/02/2013 1:40 AM.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Thanks. Yep, that is about what I'm going for. I will probably go for a generic tank unless I find something that fits especially well on the '40.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
DennisM #976005 10/02/2013 11:44 AM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Look at an S-10 tank, the big one. They mount to the inside of the frame rail.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
I was reading another post here check out what this guy did. here is some of the pics he link to his build

GasTank

1940 chevy build


"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my sweet ride." -Amen

56 Chevy 3100
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
Thanks Tiny. Yeah, I've seen the Jag build. It is way modified so doesn't really look like a '40 underneath. I feel like I'm doing a lot of things but you wouldn't think so after looking at what he is up to.

Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0