Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,262 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 235 | Eventually, I want to get a COE and put it to use in my construction company for small loads of lumber and perhaps mulch or soil. I live in a pretty urban area and could use a smaller not a larger truck. The COEs are eye-catching and very cool in my opinion.
Was there a smaller COE made that I might start looking for that was made with a dump?
Last edited by Ritchie 54; 09/21/2013 6:50 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | The dump bed would be an aftermarket item. So you're probably looking for a short wheel base COE with or without dump bed and you could add the bed of your choice. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 Camp Commandant | | Camp Commandant Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 | I believe that a 1 1/2 ton is the smallest GVW wise. I don't have my books handy but I know there were several wheel base lengths offered. Here one from a fellow bolter, which I believe may be a 2 1/2 ton but it gives you an idea. http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/mueller_brian_1946.html I'm sure you could find a vintage looking dump bed to put on a a cab and chassis. I look forward to seeing pull into TW Perry's for a load of lumber!
Last edited by Bill Marlow; 09/21/2013 8:32 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Seeing how you already have a '54 Chevy 3100 series, i'm guessing you want a '47-'54 model COE to match it. If that's the case, a 110"in. wheelbase 5100 series 2 ton COE is what you're looking for. There were a few 1 1/2 ton special order 15000lb. gvw 1 1/2 tonners, but you don't find them often. Chevrolet COE's from that era came in three wheelbases, 110"in. 5100 series, 134"in. 5400 series, & 158"in. 5700 series. Stovebolt member GeoRichards, has what I believe you're talking about, http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/GeoRichards/library/?sort=38page=1 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | The fact that regardless of GVW all the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 COE. trucks discussed hear are pretty much the same size with exception of their wheel base and loads typically hauled on a dump truck go heaviest short wheel base truck you can find. Remember 1 yard of gravel weighs close to a ton and a half then you have the weight of the dump body its self. A five yard load on my 64 GMC 6000 puts my scale weight at 23000 lbs. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 235 | That's what I want. GeoRichards and Brian Mueller have exactly what I am after. If you two ever want to sell, let me know, but probably a ways off.
Otherwise I'll start looking. They have to be out there somewhere.
Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | That '46 is actually not a 5 ton. Chevrolet had no truck COE, or Conventional rated higher than 16000 lb. gvw 2 ton. 1946 was the first year for a 2 ton rating. Everything civilian Chevrolet before 1946 was rated no higher than 1 1/2 ton. 1956 was the first year for a Chevrolet truck rated at 2 1/2 ton. GMC however, had trucks from 1/2 ton, all the way up to 20 ton. | | |
| |