The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, jmoore, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Ponchogl), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,209
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Well the 216 with Carter w-1 was running fine last night. The Carb has been rebuilt and hass been running fine.

Last night when I went to put it in the garage - I think I flooded it (easilly done it seems)

This am if I crank and pull the throttle cable out at all gas seaps past the float gasket and throttle linkage.

what is that all about?

Thinking of taking the carb off and draining it -

Last edited by 53Cowboy; 09/19/2013 9:26 AM.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
even with giving no gas while cranking gas blows out the gaskets

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Gas running out under cranking conditions could be:

(1) sunk float
(2) stuck fuel valve
(3) stuck float
(4) dirt under the float valve

Gas blowing out under cranking conditions can be indicative of a sticking or burned intake valve (back pressure in the intake instead of vacuum).

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
guess i will take it off and give it a look

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
any easy way to tell if the float is sunk/stuck?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
take the top off the carb?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I will search the w-1 instructions -

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I have another carb I know worked and will swap out - I have a feeling it may be more than the Carb.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Should I take the float needle and seat assembly out and clean it?

The float is not shutting off the fuel flow

Last edited by 53Cowboy; 09/20/2013 10:07 AM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Jon's given you all the options, the only way to fix it is to,
as Bill says, take the air horn off and find out why the needle
isn't seating and shutting off the fuel flow into the bowl.

Denny G.


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Take the float out and shake it. If it's full of gas you will hear/feel it. It does happen and the only real fix is to replace it.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Thought I found the issue - Float was full of gas - I have some spare parts and swapped it out. Seems it was just product of the issue - the valve is still not shutting off. Going to replace float needle seat.

starting me to think it may be a valve

Last edited by 53Cowboy; 09/20/2013 11:59 AM.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Seems I always need to do things twice to get it right - It was a bad float. When I put the spare on I needed to spread out the two wings where the pin goes so it would move freely.

Runnin like a top now.

Worse thing about this is the carb was a rebuilt from a rather large supplier of Carbs (no names please) and had 5 miles on it.

Thankfully it was in the driveway when it flooded. Well hardtop did not like it.

carry on!!

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 82
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 82
I got a heckuva deal on an old AMC once because of a similar problem. Car would flood out and stall, gas would be leaking everywhere out of the carb. Owner had rebuilt the carb twice and problem was not solved. I didn't think he knew what he was doing, so I made him a lowball offer on the old clunker and he accepted just to get it off his hands. I rebuilt the carb (meaning it was left off the engine for several days while I waited to get it done). Put it back together and she ran like a champ! I was so tickled...for the first few days. Then, suddenly she began flooding, stalling, and leaking gas out of the carb. I then replaced jets. Same thing...ran great for a few days. Finally discovered that the float was actually a sink. It was not a hollow float like you refer to, but rather some type of solid, plastic material kinda like styrofoam. Seems like it had got old and lost its most important property...being able to resist gasoline. Take it out of the carb (while rebuilding several times)and it would dry out and work fine for a few days. Then, eventually, it would get soaked and become an anchor.


'52 Chevy 1/2 ton running original gear
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
be sure to set the float DROP as well, I had a similar issue but as it turned out this new fuel is a rather effective glue when it dries out and the float was sticking to the bottom of the float bowl. after a little while once the carb got gas in it the float would come free and it would run just fine. I eventually had to just use calipers and measure the difference between the actual float drop, and the available space in the float bowl. I either had the wrong instructions, was reading them wrong, or I had some oddball float.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
It was set to the spec I had which was 1/2 inch - and it is the all brass float

The supplier would not send me the part. They wanted the whole carb back - ridiculous


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0