The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shade Baby, Steelonsteel, Guitplayer, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
Yah, yah, yah . . . I know it's dumb, but when the instructions say to put one wire on the left horn relay terminal and another on the right terminal, does it mean my left and right or the horn relay's?
That is, if I look at the terminals head on, its left terminal is on my right and vice versa.
If I look down from the top with the terminals pointing away from me like fingers, the left is on my left, and the right on the right like normal people.
Think about that!
P.S. This may be a problem because I'm left handed. Anyway, I think I figured out the center terminal.


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
My town & country horn relay has the wire from the starter (hot wire) going to the left (as you face the relay with the horns installed) terminal. The center terminal goes to the horns. The right terminal goes to the horn button (or town & country switch if so equipped).


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Everything on a vehicle indicating left and right is from the perspective of one in the driver's seat. On American vehicles, the passenger side is the right side and the driver side is the left side, unless it's a postal vehicle.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
From the driver's seat! Simple, brilliant, consistent and obvious. Maybe I can hold that in my head for awhile. I'll double check with the hot wire and the left terminal.


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The instructions with my wiring harness solved this all too common connundrum by wording the directions "Driver's Side" and "Passenger Side". It's not wise to assume left is always driver's side and right is passenger side. Nearly every rule has exceptions. Some say never say never but that violates it's own warning. I prefer "beware of absolutes".


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Retread,

Maybe I don't fully understand the problem, but I don't think I have seen many electrical devices that didn't have some sort of notation, whether it was numbers or letters, on their terminals.

Was this an item possibly manufactured in the land of the 'Great Wall'. :rolleyes:

Stuart

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
Automarc,

Tell me what is not manufactured there now. I read a story in this morning's newspaper about this Chinese factory of 160 or so $8-per-day guys pumping out lots of shiny new pistons.
No, there weren't any number or letter notations. In fact, my instruction sheet showed a picture of a horn relay with three terminals, so I'd know what they were, but didn't let on what joined up with 'em.
I'll go with driver-side, passenger-side any day, unless it's straw-foot, hay-foot again.


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
A 3 connector relay and a battery wire, and load (horn) wire and a ground(horn switch) wire. both horns hook to the load wire.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
Oh I didn't read you post correctly. Driver side is lt. passenger side is rt. Assuming the relay is mounted to the firewall.
Want to get real confused the front of VW engine if mounted properly is the flywheel end of the engine. The rear main seal is on the fron of the engine (i guess it is realy a front main seal).


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0