The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Guitplayer, Otto Skorzeny, Perro, greenie-reddy, Hush, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 160 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
This is a problem that has been there all along on the truck, but has become more of a nuissance lately.

When you insert the key into the ignition keyswitch, sometimes it does not turn. It acts like the key is bad (or wrong).

If I remove the key and give the face of the switch 5-6 love taps with my 22oz carpenter's hammer, it will allow the key to turn.

I've tried each of my 3 keys. They all do it.

Am I right in thinking that there's something sticking in there? What can I do to fix this?This is really getting old, and any assistance would be appreciated.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
prolly has some worn pins that are getting into a bad position - might be able to get a locksmith to fix'er up, or just get a replacement lock cylinder if available

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Try some lock graphite from the hardware store.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
lock smith...doc

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
lock smith.........I used some of that powdered graphite and my lock smith,, said not to use that,,anyway he got me all fixed up on mine...


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
One more voice added to the chorus, locksmith.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
If you dont wake up...........still a good day grin


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
Use a paperclip mand your key to remove the cyl. clean up every thing with wd40, examine for damage and good luck.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Brendan:

Does either the key or the lock have a 4 diget number? If so have a locksmith cut you a new key


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
The only problem with wd-40 is it will attract dirt and cause you more problems down the road, I agree with the other guys about the locksmith, it is easy to remove the lock and take it to a locksmith, thay can fix the problem and make you a new key at the same time if needed.

Ed

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Chester & Ed: I won't lie and say that shooting WD-40 in there hadn't crossed my mind... I pretty much crossed it off my list, though, mainly because my key would get all oily, which would, in turn, make my pants all dirty. grin

Kip: The keys don't have numbers. The two new ones were made off of the old one -- which is also a copy. I haven't pulled the cylinder yet to see.

So... I guess that it's off to Hampel's with me... Do I pull the whole assembly, or can I just pull the lock cylinder and take that in?

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It is appreciated!


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
I would pull the whole assembly since it is not that hard to pull, that way if there is any other issues it is all together and can be fixed at the same time

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Quote
Originally posted by joker:
If you dont wake up...........still a good day grin
To quote a song by the Fabulous Thunderbirds..."why get up?"


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Okay. Thanks.

I'll let you know the level of disbelief on the guys' faces when I walk in and smack that puppy down on the counter. grin


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the look might be more than disbelief if the counter ya smack it on is glass! grin but if the shop has been around more than a few years, they won't blink, lock cylinders haven't changed much

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I'll be gentle. grin


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 327
Brendan what was the outcome with regards to your visit to the locksmith. I'm curious

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
NO GRAPHITE!!! WD40 is the ticket. if that don't fix it take it to the lock smith.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 117
Best bet would be to order a new key/guts set from one of the repop houses. I forget which catalog had it for like 12 bucks...Much cheaper than a locksmith and you get a new cylinder and key to boot!
Good luck... Dan


my truck gets better every day...every PAYDAY smile
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
a couple sprays of GRAPHITE, and make sure every thing else isnt binding,or crossed up and your lock will be working fine.......reeeeel simple.
its not brain surgery!

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Okay. I figured that I'd update this thread.

So, among the various other things that I did today, I took the cylinder from my keyswitch into Hampel\'s to have it looked at.

I showed Al the sticking pin, and he did get it to work better by spraying some Graphite in there, but it didn't fix things 100%. They're going to put new springs and pins in.

It might be done tomorrow, but it'll probably be done on monday.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Hay Brendan, can this guy make a key to the old number on the inside of my door handle?? Better yet can he redo my door lock cylinder so the key matches one of the two I already have for the ignition and glove box. Sure would be nice to end up with two keys and not 3. Can's seem to find anyone down here willing to try.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
If anyone can do it, the guys in Hampel's can. They've even still got the code books and blanks from 60 years ago. (They've been around since 1919.)

Al is probably who will end up doing the work. He's the "Antique Automotive" specialist.

They're on Randolph across the street from Sleder's.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
That will make it tough to find !! …….. I do plan to be up there Friday through Monday.

For those “not from around here” Sleders is the oldest continuously operating bar in Michigan, dates back to some time in the Middle Ages, before Ohio was even a state.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I know it'll be tough to find, but I have faith in you!

Funnily enough, for us locals when we give out directions to someone's house in slabtown, we usually always start with, "Go to Sleder's."

It opened in 1066, same as the Norman Invasion of England. grin


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Just checked my voicemail. Jeff called me this morning at 10:21 (I missed closing time by about 12 hours!) telling me that my lock was ready.

It took less time than I thought it was going to.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Brendan,

I had no idea Norman did that to England. He probably got hammered at Sleder's and took it out on the frogs! What say you sir?

Sir-Stuart of Saxony

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
graphite only in a lock.

oils will gum them up as mentioned above
maybe time for a new key switch if it has worn tumblers ...


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Well,

I got my keyswitch back from hampels today, and it works like a champ. Two thumbs up from moi.

Stuart:

I say: Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

Jim:

They can rebuild it. Make it better, faster, stronger. They have the technology.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
good job wink


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0