Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (KEVINSKI),
160
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,230 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#96849 08/29/2006 5:32 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | This is a problem that has been there all along on the truck, but has become more of a nuissance lately.
When you insert the key into the ignition keyswitch, sometimes it does not turn. It acts like the key is bad (or wrong).
If I remove the key and give the face of the switch 5-6 love taps with my 22oz carpenter's hammer, it will allow the key to turn.
I've tried each of my 3 keys. They all do it.
Am I right in thinking that there's something sticking in there? What can I do to fix this?This is really getting old, and any assistance would be appreciated. | | |
#96850 08/29/2006 6:07 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | prolly has some worn pins that are getting into a bad position - might be able to get a locksmith to fix'er up, or just get a replacement lock cylinder if available
Bill | | |
#96851 08/29/2006 6:08 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Try some lock graphite from the hardware store. | | |
#96852 08/29/2006 12:04 PM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 395 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 395 | | | |
#96853 08/29/2006 12:16 PM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | lock smith.........I used some of that powdered graphite and my lock smith,, said not to use that,,anyway he got me all fixed up on mine... Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#96854 08/29/2006 2:57 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | One more voice added to the chorus, locksmith.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
#96855 08/29/2006 3:08 PM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | If you dont wake up...........still a good day  Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#96856 08/29/2006 3:35 PM | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 324 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 324 | Use a paperclip mand your key to remove the cyl. clean up every thing with wd40, examine for damage and good luck.
"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
| | |
#96857 08/29/2006 4:37 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Brendan:
Does either the key or the lock have a 4 diget number? If so have a locksmith cut you a new key | | |
#96858 08/29/2006 4:50 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 308 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 308 | The only problem with wd-40 is it will attract dirt and cause you more problems down the road, I agree with the other guys about the locksmith, it is easy to remove the lock and take it to a locksmith, thay can fix the problem and make you a new key at the same time if needed.
Ed | | |
#96859 08/29/2006 5:45 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Chester & Ed: I won't lie and say that shooting WD-40 in there hadn't crossed my mind... I pretty much crossed it off my list, though, mainly because my key would get all oily, which would, in turn, make my pants all dirty. Kip: The keys don't have numbers. The two new ones were made off of the old one -- which is also a copy. I haven't pulled the cylinder yet to see. So... I guess that it's off to Hampel's with me... Do I pull the whole assembly, or can I just pull the lock cylinder and take that in? Thanks for the advice, everyone! It is appreciated! | | |
#96860 08/29/2006 5:52 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 308 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 308 | I would pull the whole assembly since it is not that hard to pull, that way if there is any other issues it is all together and can be fixed at the same time | | |
#96861 08/29/2006 9:32 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Originally posted by joker: If you dont wake up...........still a good day To quote a song by the Fabulous Thunderbirds..."why get up?"
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
#96862 08/29/2006 9:49 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Okay. Thanks. I'll let you know the level of disbelief on the guys' faces when I walk in and smack that puppy down on the counter.  | | |
#96863 08/29/2006 11:19 PM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the look might be more than disbelief if the counter ya smack it on is glass!  but if the shop has been around more than a few years, they won't blink, lock cylinders haven't changed much Bill | | |
#96864 08/30/2006 6:52 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | I'll be gentle.  | | |
#96865 09/06/2006 10:36 PM | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 327 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 327 | Brendan what was the outcome with regards to your visit to the locksmith. I'm curious | | |
#96866 09/06/2006 10:42 PM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | NO GRAPHITE!!! WD40 is the ticket. if that don't fix it take it to the lock smith.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | |
#96867 09/27/2006 4:11 AM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 117 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 117 | Best bet would be to order a new key/guts set from one of the repop houses. I forget which catalog had it for like 12 bucks...Much cheaper than a locksmith and you get a new cylinder and key to boot! Good luck... Dan
my truck gets better every day...every PAYDAY | | |
#96868 09/27/2006 4:55 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | a couple sprays of GRAPHITE, and make sure every thing else isnt binding,or crossed up and your lock will be working fine.......reeeeel simple. its not brain surgery! | | |
#96869 09/30/2006 2:22 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Okay. I figured that I'd update this thread. So, among the various other things that I did today, I took the cylinder from my keyswitch into Hampel\'s to have it looked at. I showed Al the sticking pin, and he did get it to work better by spraying some Graphite in there, but it didn't fix things 100%. They're going to put new springs and pins in. It might be done tomorrow, but it'll probably be done on monday. | | |
#96870 09/30/2006 6:26 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Hay Brendan, can this guy make a key to the old number on the inside of my door handle?? Better yet can he redo my door lock cylinder so the key matches one of the two I already have for the ignition and glove box. Sure would be nice to end up with two keys and not 3. Can's seem to find anyone down here willing to try. | | |
#96871 09/30/2006 9:26 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | If anyone can do it, the guys in Hampel's can. They've even still got the code books and blanks from 60 years ago. (They've been around since 1919.)
Al is probably who will end up doing the work. He's the "Antique Automotive" specialist.
They're on Randolph across the street from Sleder's. | | |
#96872 10/01/2006 12:54 AM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | That will make it tough to find !! …….. I do plan to be up there Friday through Monday.
For those “not from around here” Sleders is the oldest continuously operating bar in Michigan, dates back to some time in the Middle Ages, before Ohio was even a state. | | |
#96873 10/01/2006 4:44 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | I know it'll be tough to find, but I have faith in you! Funnily enough, for us locals when we give out directions to someone's house in slabtown, we usually always start with, "Go to Sleder's." It opened in 1066, same as the Norman Invasion of England.  | | |
#96874 10/01/2006 4:50 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Just checked my voicemail. Jeff called me this morning at 10:21 (I missed closing time by about 12 hours!) telling me that my lock was ready.
It took less time than I thought it was going to. | | |
#96875 10/01/2006 5:13 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Brendan,
I had no idea Norman did that to England. He probably got hammered at Sleder's and took it out on the frogs! What say you sir?
Sir-Stuart of Saxony | | |
#96876 10/01/2006 5:17 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | graphite only in a lock.
oils will gum them up as mentioned above maybe time for a new key switch if it has worn tumblers ...
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | |
#96877 10/03/2006 1:58 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Well,
I got my keyswitch back from hampels today, and it works like a champ. Two thumbs up from moi.
Stuart:
I say: Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!
Jim:
They can rebuild it. Make it better, faster, stronger. They have the technology. | | |
#96878 10/04/2006 12:03 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | good job 
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | |
| |