The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (kades51, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,319
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9679 05/03/2002 6:43 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
I have a 55 first series. Havoline 30 wt non-detergent oil was recommended to me. I heard it is no longer produced. I have an engine without an oil filter that has 4 screws holding the valve cover. I also heard that pennsylvania oils produce a waxy deposite in the engine. Could someone recommend a few choices that are available? thanks - Scott


55 1st Chev.
#9680 05/03/2002 8:03 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 177
K
Kip Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 177
And why were you recommened not to use a detergent oil? I've used Vavoline 30 Since 1995 and I'm happy. Wax?, you could always use a synthetic. My truck 1954 235 with toilet paper roll type oil filter.
Adios, Kip


Write On The Cross At The Head Of My Grave
To Whiskey And Women Here Lies A Poor Slave

#9681 05/03/2002 8:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
There still are some non detergent oils available and in your case I would stick to them. Brandname is probably unimportant.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#9682 05/03/2002 8:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Kip, putting a regular high detergent oil in his engine could knock loose a lot of dirt that was meant to be kept out of suspension by the non detergent oil. It could blow his motor by clogging vital passages.

Putting in a synthetic at this point will blow his motor for sure.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#9683 05/04/2002 6:32 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
You can go with detergent, just you will need to change it more often until the sludge is cleaned out. Odds are the previous owner ran detergent oil. Non-detergent oil is found at part stores and farm stores around here. Pennzoil no longer leaves the wax in the engine, I'm running Pennzoil 20W-50 in my 235. Where you are SAE 30 should be good for the summer, you will definitely need SAE 20 or lighter in the winter. I'd recommend using 10W-40 year round if the engine doesn't leak or burn much oil.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#9684 05/04/2002 11:15 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 41
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 41
Not because I am from PA but Pa crude oil is about the best there is for motor oil in the world.
Pennzoil doesn't have a parafiene base nor does Kendall or Brad Penn.
Quaker State now owned by Allied Signal is in the process of removeing it in their refineing process too.
They (Quaker State) just put in a wax plant at 2 different plant locally near me here.
Now if anyone would have said that statement say 10 years ago..... I would have to agree with them to a certain point ..all would have depened on what oil they said....


37 Chevy 1/2 Ton
86 Chevy Blazer
98 Drudge 24 valve Cummins
One worn out Timberjack
#9685 05/05/2002 12:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
I don't know what to make of this business of detetergent oils loosening old sludge.Lots of sludged up engines out there ,even ones run their whole life on detergent oils. Once Bought a used a 84 Cherokee, when I removed the valve cover, the crud was so thick it left an impression of the valve cover, like a jello mold.Couldn't get that cover back on fast enough, and ran the Jeep for 4 years like that.I changed the oil pretty regular, so why didn't the sludge move??(it didn't). Had to pull a gutless 2.8 engine on a 83 S10 once to repair an Exxon Valdes class rear main leak.Pulling the pan was like winning the sludge lottery ,Yuk.Why didn't my regular oil changes on this sludge left my the previous owner,loosen it up and clog the oilways? Oh, the rear main leaked when I bought it, got tired of slipping on the oil slick on the ground.Is detergent sludge different than non detergent sludge? Have any of you actually seen an engine ruined by terminal sludge movement caused by switching oil types? I mean you could absolutely, positively, say it died from displaced sludge, not just simply gave off blue sparks and smoke because it was a bearing rattler to begin with.

#9686 05/05/2002 2:57 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 130
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 130
hello tony. i have seen the results of people switching oils in engines and trannys that have lived a long happy life using asphaltic based oils. all of the circumstances involved a popular brand of synthetic oils. one was a poorly maintained but otherwise good running jeep straight six that came to me with 3 broken push rods and a clogged oil pump.[a real mess]. sludge was loosened up and floated around the lube system after the fillup of this synthetic lube.another was a 5 speed overdrive tranny that had about 80k on it and stiffened up and would not shift until the synthetic lube was drained and the regular 90w gear lube was reinstalled. now don't get the idea that i have a problem with these synthetics. they are the best you can use in a machine that doesn't have some sludge in it. i have been cautioned by older peers against using high detergent oils in engines that were sludged up.good luck.


our garage is a non-profit organization
#9687 05/05/2002 4:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I also read on this forum that when the new high detergent oils came out there was a big tidal wave of engines requiring rebuilts. Some old timer mechanics were blaming this on the oil. They said they had work backed up because of the unusual number of engine failing.

That was good enough for me. I just took the oil pan off my 54 235 and it was clean as a whistle. It had already been cleaned previously. I now feel much more sound running standard oils like I was.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#9688 05/06/2002 6:16 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
Thanks for a nice discussion. I will consider it all and make a decision. - Slippery Scott


55 1st Chev.
#9689 05/07/2002 2:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 114
Once a year I drive into the warehouse district to an oil distributor who sells me a 5 gallon bucket of SAE 20. Check the yellow pages....


Jim

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0