Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (78buckshot),
112
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,425 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Have been fighting the exhaust manifold bolts/nuts on my '38 Zephyr v12 flathead. Only been on there for 76 years. When I reinstall, I would like to put them back on with a reasonable chance that I or the next guy will be able to remove without making a sacrifice to some god. What type of fastener material would stand a good chance of coming off in the future without what I had to go through? I also plan to use a copper based anti-seize good to 1800 deg. Thanks
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | Brass is always a good choice for exhaust manifolds and flanges.
What truck is it going in? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Brass? Do you mean the actual manifold or the fasteners that holds it on?
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I'd get some good quality grade 5 bolts and along with your anti-seize you should be in good shape, I would also use a good quality flat washer on each bolt. Re-tighten them after a few heat cycles. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Brass? Do you mean the actual manifold or the fasteners that holds it on? I'm not sure what he was referring to, but brass will not be a good choice for either. Take don stocker's advice. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | I've used brass nuts on exhaust manifold studs and exhaust flange bolts and studs on everything from farm tractors to sports cars for the last 50 years. Nothing comes off more reliably after decades of rust. Even use them on intake manifold and carb studs.
If you are talking about manifold to head Bolts, a good wipe of Never seize on the threads and any kind of bolt will come out years later. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | The manifolds on a flathead are not attached to the heads. The only things attached to the heads are the hold down studs and the spark plugs. With that said, I will see if I can source brass nuts and bolts in 3/8x16. I wouldn't wish this job on my brother-in-law. Before I do this....46gmcpu, why wouldn't brass work for this application? Thanks
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Another vote for brass or stainless w/anti-seize, preferably the copper based. Even better would be to install studs, rather than use bolts, with brass or stainless nuts.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | Studs are great for everything. Carbs, manifolds or headers. Less chance of stripping the threads when installing nuts than a long bolt. Brass is good with a high copper content.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I now use stainless steel studs from Totally Stainless.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | How much we're the studs about and did it come as a kit?
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What year/size engine/exhaust-pipe? Totally Stainless does not have an on-line catalog, but you can download it and look for the studs. probably less than $7.00 | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | Sweet thank you for the info
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Brass can have a tendency to gall if not properly lubed. I would go with stainless, it's the modern improvement on fasteners and should last longer than you need them to. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Are we talking about the bolts/studs that hold the manifold to the engine or are we talking about the bolts/studs that mount the exhaust pipe to the manifold? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | Just left the parts store with complete stainless sets for my headers and blower pulleys. Just need the stud kits for the dual carbs. I'm excited! Shiny makes you faster right?
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Brass can have a tendency to gall if not properly lubed. I would go with stainless, it's the modern improvement on fasteners and should last longer than you need them to. Stainless will also gall if not properly lubed.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Brass is much more resistant to galling.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | OK, here's the specs on the motor. 1938 Lincoln Zephyr V-12 flathead (the strangest motor I've ever worked on). The exhaust pipe diameter is 1-3/4". I am talking about both the bolts and studs that fit the manifold to the block (not heads) and what we would call the collector flange. There are 8 each 3/8-16x1" bolts holding each manifold to the block. There are two each 3/8-16X1-3/4" studs plus nuts that connect the so called collector to the exhaust pipes. There is also a cross over exhaust pipe, a heat exchanger for passenger heat and other stuff (I said it was strange). I have not found all I need to go back with brass fasteners locally. I was looking through the "McMaster-Carr" catalog for the stuff. I was reading about the different tensile strengths and such and saw Silicon-Bronze. Has anyone have a history with this material around manifolds? I have used SST in the past on my Chevy street rods but have to stay after them to make sure everything is tight. I really would like to find something that works, stays tight after a tighten up after a couple of heat cycles, and comes off, down the road, when I need it to. Thanks to all!
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | I like to use brass exhaust manifold nuts on standard steel studs. Real brass exhaust nuts are very tall. They cover all or most of the stud. Google for "Chevy brass exhaust manifold nuts" to see a picture. The problem is that most engines are 5/16 not 3/8. For bolts I use grade 8 steel, don't need the strength but much better steel, doesn't rust as badly and won't stretch in heat cycles. Since the threads in the block or head aren't out in the weather, a good coat of never seize will let them come out years from now with no fighting. Brass bolts wouldn't have the strength. Silicon Bronze is much harder and stronger, used a lot on salt water marine applications.
I never use stainless nuts on stainless bolts. Even covered with never seize there is a good chance of galling. Regular steel works fine because the bolt won't rust.
Last edited by Jim Sears; 08/23/2013 10:54 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | I use grade 8 on everything. All suspension, mounts, even the bolt that I attached to a chain to keep my engine from tearing the rubber mounts. Learned that lesson the hard way. And anti-seize is key.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 222 | Another virtue of brass is that it is easier to split off with a cold chisel when it does freeze to the stud or round off. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Use a good quality steel,stainless,or even silicon bronze, for the studs, bolts. You need the tensile strength. For the nuts you can use a good quality brass. Good luck finding that. Stainless nuts would be my choice with a good high temp anti seize on the threads. Make the nuts the sacrificial part and it should be good for many years. Studs and bolts are hard to remove when stuck. Nuts, not so bad. Never ever put manifold on with out anti-seize. EVER! As you can tell this has been covered pretty well. Brass and stainless will gall and the use of anti-seize will help that. Galled stainless is a b!@#h to remove. Galled stainless nut on a stainless bolt? A disaster. both will be destroyed.
Steve H
| | |
| |