The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Steelonsteel, amtrakjoe), 69 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,466
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Hi. I don't know if there is anybody out there who has done it but I want to run an automatic transmission in my 52 GMC pickup. The catch is I want to use an automatic shifter I got out of a 54 Hydramatic GMC. My setup is a GMC 302 with a 200r4 transmission. Will this be a straight forward project or are there any complications I'll run into? I know I'll have to change the glass in the shifter because the shifting patterns are different in a modern transmission. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
I've seen it done but haven't done it myself. I don't think it will be a huge project, but it will take a little bit of mock-up and fab to get the geometry right. It's no different than hooking any column shift up in a vehicle it wasn't in to start with. Just take your time and mock everything up.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Save the glass and sell it in the Swap Meet.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
I am putting an automatic in a '48 2 ton. I was planning on making an adaption of the floor shifter from a 50's Powermatic. Haven't seen a GMC Hydramatic shifter, do you know if they are similar?

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
I don't know, sorry. It's sounds like an interesting project though.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0