The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dennys28, Oswald, Shade Baby), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96599 08/06/2006 7:32 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18
I have read all that is required for a 12V conversion in a 49 is to reduce voltage to fuel gauge and replace lamps. How do the starter motor and heater blower handle higher voltage?


" the first rule of the intelligent tinkerer is to save all the parts"
aldo leopold
#96600 08/06/2006 2:32 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 213
Not real well on the heater. They are lighter than the starter and will spin faster and cook. The good news is 12 volt bolt in replacements are easy to get, and not horribly expensive. Jim Carter in Kansas City has a special of 10% off thru some time this month. Contact me off line at [email protected] and I'll help you with that. I'll be ordering, so we could go together if needed.

The starter spins very quick and if all is well elsewhere, will start you up fast. Others say the starter will be fine. I suspect eventually you would want to have it re-would in 12 volt, but I wouldn't rush.

All the bulbs need to become 12 volt.

The fuel gauge will need a reducer, search for the "Runtz" model. The former Chevy Duty sells them, Carter may too. 12 volts on a fuel gauge is terminal. Be ready to buy a new gauge.

That's about all I can come up with off the top of my head...

Good Luck!

Jake

#96601 08/06/2006 2:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You will need a 12 volt gen. & regulator. The starter will work better & last longer than it will on 6 volts.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#96602 08/07/2006 8:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 18
I am using the 12V generator/regulator from the 235. I'll disconnect heater motor for now, as I don't have the core plumbed to the waterpump anyway. Putting in 12V bulbs. Is the 'runtz' similiar to a voltage regulator IC like the 7809A. Any ideas on the current draw for the fuel gauge?


" the first rule of the intelligent tinkerer is to save all the parts"
aldo leopold
#96603 08/08/2006 4:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've been running a 6 volt fan motor at 12 volts for a couple years. Its running too fast and makes too much noise, but otherwise I don't think it's been a problem. I keep planning to replace it...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#96604 08/10/2006 4:53 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
some old heater switches were adjustible reostates (sp?) a heavy resistor w/ heat sink would work for the heater motor.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
#96605 08/10/2006 7:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
dont forget to change the coil........either with one with a built in ballast resistor or add an external one.

#96606 08/23/2006 3:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I have an coiled resistor upriver of my heater switch. Don't remember where I got it but it has worked just fine for over 5 years now.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#96607 08/23/2006 10:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
This is in reply (again) on the 6 to 12 v. conversion. I have an altenator and 12 v. coil, and I know I need to add a Runtz res. for the gas gauge. My car seems to run fine, so what is the reason for needing a ballast resistor on the coil.

#96608 08/29/2006 1:58 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
i bought inline resistors from ACT in Texas to put in to run my 6v heator with 12 volts..i have not installed it yet so I cant give you a better idea but they are designed for that and are pretty cheap.

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/...&iyear=1946&ytype=to&exyear=

scroll down and you will see the voltage reducers. The heavy gauge for heaters are only $7.50 and the ones with heatsink are only $15.00. Beats changing out a lot of stuff if you have a good heater.


1946 Chevy Pickip
#96609 08/29/2006 2:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
car54,

Some type of voltage reducer is required before the points to drop the voltage to approximately 9 volts when the truck is RUNNING. This reduced voltage is sufficient to power the ignition system WITHOUT burning up the points.

This feat is accomplished with a resistor before the primary side of the coil, or with a coil containing a internal resistance.

With a external, or ballast resistor, the system is wired to bypass this device when in the START mode, thereby supplying FULL voltage to the coil to overcome any draw created by a cranking starter.

This only pertains to a 12 volt system. Clear as mud to me!


Stuart


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0