| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,138 Posts1,056,440 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 127 | I just got done rewiring my 54' Chevy truck. I was wondering what the ammeter should be reading while running. Right now my just seams to stay right in the middle of the gauge. Where can I put a test meter at to see if its a gauge, generator or voltage regulator problem? Thanks guys | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | not a problem, you want the ammeter to indicate a 'neutral' condition, the battery is charged and the generator is keeping up with demand, what the ammeter is telling you is the amount of current being sent to [drawn by] the battery ... what should happen is the ammeter drops minus while you're cranking the engine, once started, it should move back to neutral, fast or slow depending on how long it cranked - might take a jump up to plus at first and fall back to neutral, all good
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 127 | Ok thanks. Even with the engine shut off it still is in the middle. When I crank the motor the needle hardly does anything. I will keep an eye on it to see if it changes at all. I guess I will know when I get the lights hooked up. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Pull your headlight switch on and you should see the needle drop about to the middle of the negative side. The starter won't show a big drop but when the engine fires up you should see a pretty sharp rise toward the positive side for a few minutes. It's possible that you have some poor connections due to corrosion also so I'd check them before considering a new gauge.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | centered is the "rest position" with the key off, turn the lights on with ignition off and it should show a strong discharge ... how much the ammeter moves in any particular truck is variable, the needle being roughly centered under normal conditions is what counts ... keep in mind that these gauges are not scientific instruments, the ammeter is primarily to warn of sudden deviations from normal functioning, so you need to learn how your particular gauge reads under all conditions
Bill | | |
| |
| |