| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 6 | I have a 54' Chevy 3100 that I have decided to begin restoration on. The drive line is all original, transmission is a 4 on the floor, torque tube and original rear end. I believe the engine has been rebuilt, 235 ci. I would like this truck to be able to be a daily driver, or one that I can run up and down the highway with at highway speeds but want to keep the truck as original as possible. Any suggestions as to gear ratio changes or if it would be best to get rid of the original rear end and torque tube? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | welcome, you might considering going to the welcome forum and giving an intro...........a lot of tips on your topic, you might try a search in the forum, that works really well or just scan thru some of the posts in the general truck forum and such.............welcome to the best truck site in the world.. read this for some tips
Last edited by joker; 08/05/2013 5:57 PM.
Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Search for posts describing the 3.55 ring and pinion gears conversion, which allows you to keep the original enclosed drive shaft.
I made this change in my 1954 Suburban, along with changing to LT215/85R16" radial tires. This resulted in about a 20% decease in RPM, allowing easy/quiet cruising at 60-65mph. MPG did not decrease at those speeds.
Make sure your brake system is good, and make sure all your front-end and suspension parts are good.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 6 | Thank you for your reply's. I appreciate the help. Searching through the forum I found PatricksAntiqueCars. I guess I'll start there. Thanks again | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | Patricks is a good place plus a nice guy..usually he is willing to help answer questions on the phone... the 52 I sold had a bunch of Patrick stuff on it... no problem Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
| |
| |