The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, 50Chevy3100, RdsLessTaken, DadsFirstPickup, tclederman, 1 invisible), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
My wrench guy was working on this issue yesterday trying to install an elec fan. No way would it fit. Then he discovered that some dip wad had installed a radiator from a 41-47 CAR ! ...and moved it closer in toward the motor by cutting up the rad supports. That has to all be ripped out to make it right

Now the question... Will any rad from/for an AD truck fit with my 235 motor...it's from a 56. Truck is a 49 half ton. I know I'll need a short water pump.

Now, to be sure, I need to get the numbers off the motor to be sure of what IT is... At least it runs well and is quiet....could also be from a car I guess


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Mark,

First: determine the year of your motor.

If it is a 1956 235, you will need a short-shaft water pump, or, relocate an earlier (1947-1952) 216/235 water pump using the relocation plate sold on eBay by Pre '68 Dave. This will have a pulley groove-width that will match the pulley widths on 1949 harmonic balancer and generator (you can use that harmonic balancer on your 235).

Any 1948-1955st 1/2 ton Chevrolet truck radiator will work.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Well, the numbers seem to say it's a 235 from a 1957 car. At least that means I likely have hydraulic lifters. It does run really quiet..

I think...please confirm...that the short shaft water pump will bolt right up w/o any modifications... Hopefully we will have room for the elec fan I got.


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Mark,

Wait to hear from someone else, and do not let my questions deter you.

The short shaft later-style water pump sold by Patrick's and JC should bolt right up to a 1957 engine.

Does your electric fan work in combination with the fan blade on your water pump?

What harmonic balancer will you be using?

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Won't be using the stock fan...just elec. Not sure about the balancer. May not use the elec fan at all...may just get a bigger fan than it had...and add a shroud


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There is an adapter to use the short 216 water pump. This is better then modifying the 235 pump. The 235 pump will set to low & cause problems with fan clearance.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Hmmm, now I'm really confused. The short pump sold by Classic Parts (and others I'm sure) says for 235 and 261 motors. Does not say anything about an adapter. I better check some other parts houses to see..

Is that the so called 'relocation plate'.. ? Req. drilling into the block ?


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
You can read more about the relocation plate Here.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Dave,
You seem to be the go-to guy when it comes to techy stuff about all this. I just bought this item from you so I should now be good to go...


Thanks


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Thanks, I hope you and Walter have many pleasant miles.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Thanks Dave,
I was just up at the shop where he is being worked on. Took off the old water pump and it's binding so much I'm surprised it had not totally failed. Then took off the fitting holding the thermostat. The PO or 'builder'..had put it on with proper bolts, etc but sealed it with pieces of gasket but mostly silicone caulk which had partially filled the water passage way... I'm totally astounded at the crap this guy did. What a complete bonehead !


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Mark,

Please forgive this post. Mention was made above about a "short" 216 water pump. That is the style pump that must be used with the relocation plate. Actually, any 216 water pump, and any 1941-1955st 235 water pumps, and any 1954/55st 261 water pumps may be used with the relocation plate. The bodies (including the pump rotor/blades/vanes) of these water pumps mount entirely outside the block

The "short-shaft" pump sold by Patrick's, Jim Carter, and others is for direct attachment to later 235/261 engines. This style water pump cannot be used with the relocation plate. The pump rotor/blades/vanes mount inside the block.

For what it is worth, I have used the relocation plate (on 2 261 engines) with the older style water pump (with matching groove-width harmonic balancers).

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
Hey, Listen to Dave! His adapter works flawlessly! I am running his adapter on a 1958 235 and even at 95 degrees temp my engine stayed at thermostat settng of 180 degrees. If we tell you that dog [censored] stinks, do you have to step in it before you believe us? LOL
Jerry



Jerry
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Thanks Dave.... I'm just left wondering what other idiotic stuff the original 'restorer' did to this truck... I'm sure I'll find out in due time...


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by Dogface
Thanks Dave.... I'm just left wondering what other idiotic stuff the original 'restorer' did to this truck... I'm sure I'll find out in due time...

lol...at least you have a truck to play with. So far, I've had to walk away from a couple possibilities...my heart would say "buy this truck!" and then my brain would say "buy this truck...and I'm leaving you!" ...so still looking smile


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0