The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, 2 invisible), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,169
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I am thinking about spot welding angle strips to my bed sides. Has any one used the spot welder that Harbor Freight sells?
Thanks
Steve

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Steve,

I have studied the snot out of it (them), but have never used the one from HF. I have used another brand...expensive commercial one. The true test of the spot welder will be the combined max thickness it will zap together. The 220 volt version will obviously have more capacity than the 110 volt version...but, dragging around the larger cord, and rigging up the plug could be bothersome.

Examine the two parts you intend on welding together...my guess is that their combined thickness will far exceed anything either spotwelder could do! The sheetmetal on these trucks really isn't "sheetmetal" in the true sense of the word. As I recall, most body components are about 19 gauge...that's ONE piece. If you want to stick TWO of these together, your going to need a big mama!


Stuart

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Another possible solution using a different approach.......
http://www.mar-k.com/removing_original_angles.html

Dan

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
Thanks for the thoughts and the link. I will probably have them welded in place.
Steve

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
You can do a sort of spot weld. You drill holes in one bit, flush them up where you want them, clamp it, and then weld around the hole edge for the front bit to the back bit. As you weld, do a spiral in, grind flush, and there you go. Assuming you have a MIG or flux core welder...

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 18
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 18
hourhand - I have the 220 volt Harbor freight welder. I tried welding 2 pices of 1/8 inch think stock and it was great. I restored a car and used some heavy sheet to replace rusted pannels. The welder was awesome.

I bought it for about $100 on sale and that is compared to a $600 miller welder. I have a miller tig 250 and a miller mig. So I respect good welding equiptment and I have not seen any problem with the Harbor Freight unit. I never used the 110 model, but it seems like that would be a waste not to have the power for heavy pannels.

If you need to spot weld something my vote is for the budget unit. Unless you are starting a spotwelding business, you don't need a name brand.


1949 Chevy Pickup, 1929 Model A, 1962 RollsRoyce

I like showing off my personal cars. You can see my toys at:
buzztrader.com
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
Hey thanks Buzztrader . I wnet ahead and bought a little mig welder. After more thought it was a better fit for what I need to do. I got the angle strips welded in place by drill 5/16 holes every 4" in the bed side and welding the strips that way. It worked well. Now to get the wood installed.
Thanks Again
Steve

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
Buzztrader, I am also looking at Harbor Freight for a welder. Which model number did you get. They are having a giant sidewalk sale March 3 and 4. Thanks.


Mike Richey
Big 49
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 18
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 18
Big 49 - I am no sure what name or model. But they have a 110 and a 220 spot welder. I bought the 220V and its great.

I also have the $99 set of torches and they are awesome. Although I am not sure I can get parts for it, the regulators are good the cutting torch is great, easily cuts 5/8" plate (as big as I have tried). You can't beat it for the price. Of course you have to spend a few hundred to get a set of tanks but still the cost savings is huge and the quality is equal.

I also have a $99 flux core welder I bought on sale. Its not so great. But it is worth $99. Its 110V and I wanted something quick and easy. But I wouldn't recomend it.

I use a miller tig 250 about $4000 and a miller mig about $2500. So when it comes to bulk welding, I am not into the Harbor frieght stuff. But the torches and spot welder I have are as good as I have seen with any name.

One note, when I bought the $99 mig, they offered 2 warrenties. I bought 15months for $12. If the unit fails in 15 months I can take it back to the store and they will replace it with a new one. That deal is pretty hard to beat.


1949 Chevy Pickup, 1929 Model A, 1962 RollsRoyce

I like showing off my personal cars. You can see my toys at:
buzztrader.com
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Why would just drilling through the angle and then mig weld it work? Like a plug weld? Seems easier

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
HF 220 volt spot welder works good. Though one of the bolt holes for lower tong got stripped. Does anyone have any ideas for different shapped tongs? Would steel rod work as long as the tips were copper?


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
What size/diameter is the tong/electrode? All copper will be way better. Very, Very expensive. My ideas are: Salvage an element from some heating appliance, although they are mostly tubing, but an old one may be solid copper. Water heater, etc. or Buy/salvage solid copper wire 2ga=.26 Dia, all the way to 4/0= .46 dia. or ground rod/ground wire at Home Depot or lightning rods or inquire HF for replacement or Eastwood has replacement for their Spot welder or other spot welder co.'s, now we are getting expensive. Think about what you can salvage. A scrap yard is a good place to go. Buy before they melt it. McMaster Carr has solid copper conductor uninsulated but their biggest is 2ga, same page has lightning rod stuff. Maybe all this junk I said will pop an idea. This is my engineering brain storming training at work. Just throw out anything, don't be afraid of bad ideas, it will spark an idea in someone or yourself. This is not a good technique for technical questions about trucks. grin


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Most of the ground rods I have come across are copper coated steel.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
didn't get the size yet?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
I think 5/8.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by bartamos
although they are mostly tubing, but an old one may be solid copper.

How about tubing with solid / removeable tips?

Now I gotta dig out my spot welder and see how that was built. I believe it is a Miller unit?

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 26
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 26
You might check with your purchasing HF. They may get a defective unit in and perhaps they'd sell you those Tongs? Then you could shape them at will?

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
This is easy. I'll try some steel for tongs when I get a chance and see how it goes. May have to have a clamped copper wire to help conductivity.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I'm thinking, with steel, you might fuse everything together. Copper conducts while it won't fuse with the steel. At least with ground rod, you'll have the copper coating for protection. If you're going to try it, stand by the on off switch!

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
Just the tongs not the tips. I'd thread some copper tips in the steel tongs.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0