The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107

1959 apache fleet with a solid running 235. Original carb, oil filter and four speed tranny. 338 rear gear kit from Patrick's. no frills (ac etc) and an average of 12 mpg in town or on the highway. Not complaining just wondering if this is about average or am I missing something I am unaware of to improve the mpg? Thanks in advance for any thoughts offered.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
for starters, check your odometer, if you didn't when you swapped the rear gears, then skip using the granny gear and keep a light foot, that'd be about normal with the original 3.90 rear, should do better on the highway unless you're trying to run high speeds

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Well my foot is heavy and I do freeway speeds of 75 so likely it's just driver use. Anyone use a t5 with 338 rear gears? I gather from reading on here the t5 is an option to increase mileage and it seems a swap I'm up for but not sure with the new gearing if that's still a good option.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Make sure the power valve port on the base is not blocked by the base gasket.
Also make sure your vacuum advance is working.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Hadn't thought about the base gasket. I'll give that a look this weekend. Thanks!

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Originally Posted by Joshm
Well my foot is heavy and I do freeway speeds of 75 so likely it's just driver use. Anyone use a t5 with 338 rear gears? I gather from reading on here the t5 is an option to increase mileage and it seems a swap I'm up for but not sure with the new gearing if that's still a good option.

I have a T5 in my '59, was told to leave the 3.90 I had because it fits the 5th overdrive gear very well. Someone else might chime in, but I think the 338 you have now is to high a rear for a T5 and you won't have the power you need when shifting into 5th.

Last edited by AZ59apacheguy; 08/01/2013 3:17 PM.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Depending on your terrain the V6 T5 may be OK.
With a 3.38 diff the 4 cyl T5 might work better. They only have a 10 percent over and a lower first gear.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I could never believe the Chevy cars in the magazine back at the time claiming 23 mpg in Mobile Mileage tests..... Doesn't seem possible. My 1953 1/2 ton with 4 speed (granny), 235 and stock 4:11 would usually give a flat 14-15 mpg.....

John

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
I can get 17 to 20 mpg with my '51 Deluxe, powerglide 235, rochester B. I definitely have to keep my foot out of it, though. I can get real close to 20 at a steady 55 mph



Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Yea I'm thinking it's just my foot and want to drive it like its stolen! Just so much fun once everything's dialed in to drive and regardless the milage every once in a while I just gotta ask others. Thanks everyone!

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
I get 18-20 on the highway at 65mph. 261 cu.in. .060,howards cam from patricks,fenton headers duals out the back and holley/weber carb from Langdons stovebolt. 3.90 rear end. Truck runs great just a little flat in mid range.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0