The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Barry Martak, Jay R, TIM ZINDLER, 2-Ton), 141 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I was looking for nuts/bolts for the rear end cover that are stainless. I want to go full stainless on this project, but McMaster-Carr doesn't carry a lot of stainless nuts/bolts for our trucks. 1/2-20 (fine thread in most any size)for example. Does anyone have a source for stainless that is more complete and more focused on our trucks?

Thanks!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 21


old guy with old trucks
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
What size do you need for the cover? My ace hardware has SS hardware and a special bin of chrome automotive dress up hardware. There are many stainless steel specialty suppliers online. Fastenal, totallystainless, among others. Not too many odd sizes or fine pitches on old trucks. Just maybe the spindle and some suspension threads, but they are all rods and ends. I won't even ask why you want stainless on a rear end cover.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 177
i use american standard it is a nut and bolt supply house .try your local boat store.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I don't like the longevity of the common zinc plating. It rusts within a few years. Painting the bolts is better, but I like the contrast of fresh bolts. I just need to make sure its the proper alloy makeup for high tensile strength. For a cover, not a problem, but for other stuff, I would like to get the stronger alloys.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
I also use ACE. You can buy as many or as few as needed, no shipping...no waiting!


Ed
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The old trucks I buy have original bolts all over. Not rusted. The thin sheet metal is rusted, not the bolts, they last 60 years. But I don't buy trucks from the east.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Deve, This is Totally Stainless' Tech info on what they use if that helps. As they are in Gettysburg,PA area(3 hrs. away from home),I use them all the time.

http://www.totallystainless.com/TechArticles.html


Drew
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
i used them for my camper build. delivery was quick and fair priced. they're a good source to use.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0