Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (BCBill, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59, Gdads51, 1 invisible),
198
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | I absolutely love my parts washer, however I do not enjoy spending $80 for the 10 gallons of Crus solvent that I use. So in looking for ways to extend the life of my solvent I found these two articles. I am very excited to instal the system on my washer, as soon as the parts arrive. Iowa waste article adding a filter to parts washer Popular Science article with parts list, adding a filter to parts washer Currently I am using a Napa flow through parts cleaning brush ($9.00) is there any brand or models of flow through brush that You can suggest? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I like the filter idea. Looks like a run-of-the mill remote oil filter kit. If you do it, I would suggest just using a cheap, no name brand filter. We used to use Wix filters on a waste oil heater, and they clogged up all the time. If we used a Fram or Generic filter, it wasn't quite the hassle. I'm assuming the Wix was a finer micron filter.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | I tend not to use the flow through brush too much. My parts washers are heated, so that helps a lot. A long soak under heat cleans a lot of stuff. I'll use a brass or stainless "tooth brush" along with some Scotchbrite pads. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 | I searched the oil filters at Advance till I found one that would thread onto a 1/2" pipe. I tapped a piece of 1/2" plate for the 1/2" pipe and threaded the pipe thru the plate into the filter (with a reducing fitting on the other side of the pipe for the solvent hose from the pump). I then tapped a 1/4" hole off center and added a 1/4" nipple for the outlet connection. So I have a filter for less than $10.00.
Harold Wilson 41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I like your idea Harold, much cheaper than one of those remote filter kits. I have a bunch of Aluminum plate, could use a chunk of that to make my own. The problem I have with (wouldn't you know it) my Harbor Freight parts washer it the pump is intermittent, works about 10% of the time and I never know when it's gonna come one. I never use the spout but I would like to filter the fluid. I use Kerosene and it's getting to be hard to find and when I do find it it's over four bucks a gallon, so it a bit expensive to change out the solvent tank. Denny Graham
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | As per your advice Whitedog I went with a cheaper filter than the Napa. I think the cheaper STP filter looks better as well. MNSmith did you add a heating element to your parts washer? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | It is a commercial parts washer. Maintained by a service / hazmat company. Same size barrel and tub as what most people have. I've never looked at the heating element ( maybe I should ) but the whole unit runs on 110v. Maybe dropping in a diesel engine heater? A google search turned up interesting stuff. This looked like a decent idea as long as you don't spill in the heater element connections. http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26069 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Hey Curt, that looks like a HF parts tank, did you use the pump that came with it and if so where did you connect up the lines?
DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I wish I knew the secret. I have 4 small parts washer tanks that I use for storage because it takes about a month or so for the pumps to give out. Of course the HF ones say on them 'for water only'. So who uses water? The biggest problem I can see is, they use plastic motor housings and fittings. I would love to have a parts washer in my shop with actual solvent. Since everything is made in China these days, I assume all of them suffer from the same problem. How are you guys getting around this? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Yep, love to find a good solid yet inexpensive pump to circulate the solvent. When I was a kid back in the 40's and 50's we all used a 5 gallon bucket pump gas and dumped it out along side the garage when it got dirty. If we had only known!!! In my case, I've been using kerosene for about 40 years and I can always find someone with a waste oil furnace that will gladly take my old spent solvent. But,,,those pumps, where to find them????
Denny G
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Some of the garages at my company use this stuff. Been using it for a few years now. Seems to do a good job. My machines have an aqueous solution that works great. Ozzy Juice | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | Denny it is a HF parts washer, I removed the original spigot and installed a hose adapter, this is the supply line to the filter, then the "out" line from the filter connects to my flow thru brush. The directions I followed are in this article. My pump has lasted for two years but I was not using true solvent. I am expecting it to fail before to long. In preparation for this I have been reading what others have done to replace their pump. I have heard good things about Grainger pumps, and have read of people using gas tank fuel pumps, but then you need a converter. Either way I am expecting to spend as much on a new pump as the HF parts washer cost. BTW I have read that an original replacement from HF is $25 plus shipping. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Thanks Curt. I haven't pulled the pump out to look at it so I wasn't aware of how they attached anything. I didn't think the HF pump had a threaded port for the intake, all I see on the outside was a screen. Might look at Grainger for a pump. You're correct in that a good pump is probably more than the whole tank was. But the tank is good enough and fairly sturdy, at least as sturdy as the old "Gunk" brand tank that I'd been using for 50 years. That one was just to small and that's why I picked up one of the HF tanks when they went on sale. Being the curious type I'll be doing an autopsy on the HF pump to find out why it failed or is intermittent, who knows, like most of the stuff you get from them it's usually just one little thing that they didn't take the time to finish right or add. Right now I got a couple hundred one or two day projects going with the new place so not sure when I'm gonna get to the pump and filter, but it's on the list.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | So, everyone here changes their solvent pumps every month? We as a civilization are in a whole new world of hurt.  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 | I'm using a Little Giant submersible pump(NK_2 I think) that I salvaged from some used lab equipment many years ago. It's been sitting in kerosene for about 15-20 yrs and was still working a couple month's ago.
Harold Wilson 41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Right Harold, $110, discounted.
To steep for my blood.
DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | Deve, I feel like I missed something. Why would you think anyone here would change their pump very often, especially monthly? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Because all SIX parts washers I have purchased, either from HF or Northern Tool, the pumps have died within 30 days of purchase. In talking with many others, this is the case each and every time. I know these sources are bottom of the barrel, so I am asking where do I purchase a solvent tank that doesn't end up as a parts container.
These pumps have plastic connections, plastic pump parts, etc that get ate up about as fast as putting them in acid. What I would like is a pump that doesn't disintegrate as soon as you put the solvent in the tank. Its funny but if you read the fine print on the HF tanks, it says FOR WATER ONLY. Now I realize I was born yesterday and all, but who buys a solvent tank and then puts water in it besides a marine biologist?
Any suggestions? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Try Craiglist for an old Grey Mills or Safety Kleen machine. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | I have had a Little Giant pump for years. http://little-giantpump.com/contact.htm Call the factory and they will recommend which pump you need. I have a parts tumbler in which I use Varsol. For every day degreasing or preliminary cleaning, I use plain old cooking oil. I got rid of my Safety Kleen washer several years ago, and they routinely report this to the TECU. They have yet to find anything hazardous about cooking oil and I dump it into my drained oil tank when it gets dirty. This gets burned as bunker oil and there are no smoke laws at open sea. Spraying our trailers with cooking oil keeps asphalt from sticking to the side of the trailer too. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 240 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 240 | I used a power steering pump off a late model GM and tapped the holes to take pipe fittings (on the supply side larger port I had to gring thr tip of the tap off because of it being to shallow)plumbed it to my hose. Ran the pump off a air motor and can adjust the flow by adjusting the air pressure. My pump is mounted outside the tank and above the level of the fluid and has no problem picking up yhr fluid. To my suprise it doesn't take that much air to operate, connected them together with a small LoveJoy coupling. Has been in operation for at least 15 yrs. Sweet Mfg makes this pump in aluminum for dirt track racing but being cheap I modded the pump for my cars. They make two sizes of input shafts I perfer the 3/4" ones, easier to find couplings.
You Learn more Listening than Talking
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 | Years ago when I worked at a Mom and Pop Auto parts store we sold Parts washer filters. These where made to be "cut to fit" and they sat at the bottom of your parts washer. They didn't filter out the "fine" particles but mainly the larger debris. I don't remember the brand but I remember that they looked a lot like the cheap air filters of spun glass. Just a heavier and thicker weave.
Brian Moore 1949 3100 5 window Deluxe "Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow" | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | The problem I ALWAYS have with parts washers is, the PLASTIC housing that surrounds the motor melts in less than a few weeks. I tellya, I have the worst luck with these things. I have a few 'parts boxes' that used to be parts washers but the motors died so I had to cut my losses. If I could find a METAL motor housing that actually didn't melt, I would be one happy camper! Then I could actually get on the same page as the conversation about filters. I may try again one of these days. About every decade I decide Im gonna try again, and each decade, nothing but disappointment. Im in my mid 50s now, so maybe 3rd time is a charm? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 57 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 57 | i have had my newest h-f parts washer for 4 yrs. and it still works good..my old one that i made myself i now keep at the house shop,in it i used a submergered pump i bought from h-f it has to be over 15yrs old and still works..maybe those having problems with the pumps are letting the fluid get too low or slime level get too high.. i use de-natured alcohol in my washers and always make sure the pumps are below the fluid level for cooling and clean them every few months or more if needed.... i tried the water based cleaners..for about a hour before i dumped it out..does make good hand cleaner though..ha ha ha ha | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 | The best recirculating parts washer I've used was built out of salvaged materials. A recycled 30-gallon rear end lube drum was fitted with a stainless steel kitchen sink. The solvent flow was provided by a submerged automotive oil pump powered with a 1/4 HP electric motor scavenged from a floor fan. We mounted the motor above the back of the tub with a long, direct-coupled shaft running the pump at the bottom of the barrel. 1725 RPM is just about highway cruise speed for any oil pump. Plenty of volume, and the steel-geared pump will last forever. You stovebolt purists could even use a recycled 216/235 pump. Mine was a Ferd, IIRC. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Now that's a project and a half Jerry, but...it would probably make one of the best pumps that one could have on a parts cleaner. Gonna keep that one in mind, when I run out of things to do I might try rigging up a pump like that.
Good to see ya back again by the way. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I have a few carbs to clean so I revisited this issue and tore apart all my old parts washers hoping to make something work. The pumps are melted beyond recognition as I knew I would find since this happens almost right away.
So, I must be doing something wrong. First and probably foremost, what solvent are you all using? Then, the other thing, if that doesn't solve it, you MUST be cleaning the parts washer out after every use and soaking it in detergent or something to remove all of the corrosive residue. I am sure I must be using the wrong solvent. I am just getting tired of purchasing new parts washers every few months. Even at 40-50$ a pop, its stupid expensive and I don't need any more parts storage containers!!
The 74.00$ Little Giant pump that would have to be adapted to fit is probably a good idea, but not if my solvent is melting whatever it touches. I just need a 3-1/2 gallon washer. I cant imagine a 20 gallon storage container after it melts after the first use. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | Deve, the reason I started looking into a filter for my parts washer was because I am using 10 gallons of Crus Oil Inc. solvent, and it is not cheap at $38 for 5 gallons. My parts washer is always filled, and the stock HF pump is always submerged. I have had no problems since I added the filter and solvent 5 months ago.
Last edited by 801curt; 12/28/2013 3:04 AM.
| | |
| |