Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,205 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 | Friend has a cab for sale, and he's not sure what year truck it came off of. Cab looks decent. I asked him for the numbers on the door frame tag, and his reply was; model 1314,body 4603 Can anyone help me please narrow down what year this was? Should there be a cab vin number stamped here as well? Want to pick up the cab and store it here until I find a project to restore  Thanks in advance!  | | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 | OK, so sorry for being such a newb, but I found out that 1314 makes it a Canadian 1/2 ton, but can find any info on the model 1603??
I asked him to send me the serial number.
Last edited by Before My Time; 07/19/2013 1:15 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | that's not the "vin" number, all it tells you is it's a Canadian production 1/2T [model], could be any year, should be a line labeled "serial" that has a longer number including the 1314 as the 2nd-5th digits, the first digit indicates the year, like 01314xxxxx = 1950 .... but if you plan to buy an AD truck, it'll do for any year
edit: the 1600 series is a big bolt, 1.2-2T, but same cab [03 should be 'cab/chassis' I think]
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 | I'll see what other numbers he can get for me...I asked for a picture if possible.
Interesting to see on some pics I have found on line, that the Canadian trucks seem to have more info on their tags than the US trucks have...am I correct?? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the difference is the CDN production had all the info on one tag, most years the US had one tag with vin and GVW, a 2nd tag for body/trim info
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 202 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 202 | Hi, BMT, Send away for the GM Vintage vehicle package ( Canada 1-888-467-6853, Note this # is from 2006). It will tell you all that you want to know. It does cost you money.( $30.00 plus taxes in 2006) Body # 4603 means that is 4603 of how many of that body style they built that year. On your information plate you should find the following, Model#, Serial#, Engine#, Body#, Trim#, Paint#.
Keep the 216's running. 1949 1/2 ton model #1314 (US 3104) Brian
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 | So I got the vin; 0131411988 The "0" makes it a 1950, the "1314" makes it a 1/2 ton cab, and the "11988" makes it the 11988 built that year...correct? What does "Body 4603" mean? And, will this 1950 cab fit on a 1949 frame? I ask because I believe I read that the earlier cabs had 3 mounting points, and the later had 4...but I do not know when was the cut-off point?? Thanks again for all the help you guys are providing for this newbie!!  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the 11988 serial number more likely makes it the 1988th truck because plants always started with something like 10001, although I haven't seen reference to the specific CDN plant procedure .... the body number is the serial ID of just the body, which was installed as a complete unit on a complete chassis
don't know when the mount change happened, but any AD body can be made to fit any AD frame, some take a little more work than others
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2013 Posts: 51 | Thanks for the info Bill!  Can anyone confirm that the 3 body mounts was a '47-'48 thing, and that '49 on, they had 4 mounts? | | |
| |