The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (NJC, fonz8261, Southerntruck, J Lucas), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,442
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#954262 07/03/2013 1:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Hi, My name is Tom This is my first post,just joined.I have a 57 3800 series dump. It was our first truck back in 1970. I want to restore it. My question is will the body panels for a 1/2 ton fit. Doors,fenders etc.I saw a lot of parts on different sites and I think most were for 1/2 ton trucks.We left this poor old truck sit out for the last 25 years so it really needs a lot of TLC. Don't know if it is worth doing, but it brakes my heart to scrap it.Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank You Tom

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
welcome to the garage Tom, lots of info here and tons of manuals available online here [some 57 ones only listed in the 'by year' section] ... the cabs are identical on all sizes of conventional cab trucks, and front metal is the same for 1/2T to 1T, so you're in luck, all the patch panels available from the vendors [see our links section] will work for you - some of the mechanical hard parts might be scarce, but the parts wanted forum here works well .... they're always worth saving when there's a 'family attachment', go for it thumbs_up

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
Welcome Tom, Enjoy the ride at Stovebolt.com! We are here to help. DO NOT EVER be afraid to ask questions! The ONLY DUMB question is the one NOT asked. These guy held my hand and put up with a lot of crap from me but matured me from an ID10T into my ALMOST completed 51 one ton. Jerry



Jerry
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Hi, Thanks Bill and Jerry. Well I drug the 57 up to the garage put some gas in, battery and sanded the points. It started right up so I pulled it in the shop over the pit to look it over good. The frame is very good,but the bottom of the cab is pretty bad. As expected no brakes the master cylinder is froze solid. I decided it is worth trying to save. I found two fiberglass front fenders and a seat and gas tank so I guess it is time to go to work. The biggest problem will be fixing the posts where the bottom door hinges bolt. Any info on after-market parts would be helpful.If I can learn how I will post a pic. Thanks Tom

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
hinge pillar patches are available from most of the vendors, you'll likely need the face piece with the opening as well as the 'pocket' piece in behind for those lower hinges - there's also cab mount replacement pieces and various floor sections available a lot of places, check the links section here for vendors, and note that many Task Force [55-59] series patches are available from the normal system via local stores like NAPA, saves shipping

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
The cabs are esentially the same, the differences I can think of as noted in the FAM is the lower fender mount points? I think...
All the sheet metal patches will work. You can even buy a brand new cab.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
If I were you, I would Search the world over trying to find Used original fenders before I would even think glass repo fenders. I have read past remarks about glass repos and fitting problems. A search on here and several other sites will probably find that info for you. Just my opinion which with about a buck and a half will get you a cheap,weak cup of coffee in Sleep Eye MN., Jerry



Jerry
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 26
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 26
Hi Tom you just found the best place in the world to get info and help for fixing up your 57 3800, these guys on here taught me everything and helped me with all my stupid questions its been 5 years for me restoring and saving money to buy parts for my truck but today I finally got her started and drove her down the street. I could never have done it without everyone's help, I still have a ways to go so more stupid questions will be coming, I have found that aftermarket parts suck, if you can save any oem body parts do so, or start hitting the swapmeets, you will find the parts, and most of the time in good condition. those aftermarket fenders are about 450 and then you got to do bodywork and paint on them and make them fit, the oem stuff is always better

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Hey Tom,

I am in much the same boat - I just picked up a 3800 myself, and it is my first attempt at restoration. I am learning so much it is hard to believe. Would love to keep in touch through the process, I am sure we will face a lot of the same issues.

Good luck!


first restoration under way! 1950 3800.

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0