The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#948985 06/08/2013 3:35 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
What's the difference between the 3600 and 3800 SRW trucks?

I'm looking at a 9' long bed 3800 truck, but would rather have shorter bed from the the 3600 truck. I was thinking of chopping the 3800 frame and installing the shorter bed.

I like the looks and ground clearance on my 3600 truck, so would I be able to swap my frontend onto the truck?


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

What year?
Chevrolet?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Sorry 54.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Most likely, you will find what you are looking for in various sections of this 1954 Chevrolet Truck Specification Manual.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 38
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 38
It depends on what you are looking to actually transfer.... you can take a leaf out if you want... or do an axle swap... the frames are different.

As someone that has the longer bed, I jumped at your thought of cutting it down as the long bed is rare and personally I think gorgeous

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 224
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 224
If you happen to choose the 3800, you can choose to shorten the frame, but I think you might find some difficulty in getting the suspension adjusted for the desired ride height without investing in new springs. There is probably just enough differences that you should probably look into finding a 3600 that strikes your fancy.

If you do move forward with that project, their are many here who would love to get there hands on a complete 9 ft bed. Myself included! Be sure to post any extra parts to the Swap Meet section.


Dave Baird
1951 Chevy 3803

Foot starters are for Stovebolters and people who need a kick in the ...
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I haven't bought the truck yet. I'm actually heading out Sunday with truck, trailer, and pocket full of cash hoping to strike a deal. As far as swapping suspensions and cutting frames, I don't think it's really feasible. If anything, I see myself swapping the front sheet metal and selling the bed. The idea of the long bed 3800 is actually starting to grow on me though. Once I drag it home, I'll have to weigh my options.

Last edited by Whitedog; 06/20/2013 6:24 PM.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Long beds are pretty rare I think. Unless your a top fab guy, I'd leave it as is. And someday you may have a $1,000,000. truck.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I like the 9' long bed too. If you get one keep it, use it, and appreciate it.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
One thing I know that is definately going is the 5.13 gearset. The 3800 might find a 14 bolt under it instead.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Mine too, actually already gave away the stock axle, have a 3.73 geared 14 bolt to go in.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Cool. I have a 3.73 geared D60 also. Too bad it's a semi-float and 70" WMS! I'd love a 3.73 or 3.42 14 bolt, but I'm gonna stick with the 4.11 I got for now.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0