Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Robert Crandall, C10 - C90 Bill, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, Peggy M, D B Cooper),
129
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,144 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I just finished stripping the parts I need off of a 2003 D60 semi float. My goal is to have a functioning parking brake to go along with the disc setup to put on my early 14 bolt. I'm pleasantly surprised at how simple a setup it is. GM used the same parking brake unit on trucks from 99 on up and 2003 on up vans.
The only thing I'm going to need is to have an axle flange made and weld it to my 14 bolt. Of course, I'll have to come up with something on the brake cables, but all in all, it's looking pretty simple.
The same setup could be used on the Eaton rearends also, with very little fab work.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 224 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 224 | As always, we'd love to see some pics of your progress. Keep us posted.
Dave Baird 1951 Chevy 3803Foot starters are for Stovebolters and people who need a kick in the ...
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | Thanks Dave. I intend to post some soon, at least in the near future... LOL! I'm going to check with the Chevy dealer to see if the parts can be sourced individually. The backing plates, brake shoes, spring kit, cables, calipers, and rotors can all be had at your local FLAPS. The only thing missing is the main bracket, and the parking brake lever. The bracket has a Kelsey- Hayes part number, but I haven't been able to source it yet. On a side note, Ford uses a setup that is nearly identical. At one time it was right around $500 a side for the complete kit. They're starting to sell the parts individually now. I have a friend that is the Parts Manager at a Ford dealer, I may give him a visit one of these days.
Anyhow, I'll repost soon.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | Well, I did manage to visit the Chevy parts man. He was kind enough to make me a couple explode views of the 2500 van and 2500 Silverado truck rear parking assembly. I need to correct an earlier statement though. I originally thought the van and truck were the same, but it seems there are some slight differences. The biggest difference, is that they use a slightly different caliper. Other than that, everything else is basically the same. The parking brake bracket, backing plate, bolt kit, rubber boot kit come as assembly. For the 2500 Silverado it's only about $50-$60 per side. Not too shabby. The van is about 3 times that amount. I guess it's a good thing I went the junkyard route. The parking brake lever is $15, which is much cheaper than I expected. The rest of the parts needed are the parking brake shoes, hardware kit, rotors, and calipers. Those are all availible at virtually any parts store. Rockauto seems to have the best prices though. After all the components are sourced, the only thing really left to do is make and weld on an axle flange. If you have the backing plate in hand, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just trace the holes. Anyhow, here are the pictures. http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/w...amp;_suid=136949642785503179884389549961http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/w...amp;_suid=136949732180303735581118344481
Last edited by Whitedog; 05/25/2013 12:03 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Looking forward to seeing this all together with and a list of part numbers both from GM and the auto parts stores as necessary.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | One thing I didn't do is get the part numbers. Since I already have everything, wasn't too worried. When I went in to see the Chevy parts man, it only took him about 30 seconds to find what I was looking for anyway. The only things that aren't in the pictures above are the rotors, calipers, and brake cables.
I'll take pictures along the way too and maybe post some dimensions of the flange. | | |
| |