The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shade Baby, TexasA&M48Truck), 80 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
Ok so I am new to the straight 6 world.
I just fixed a bent push rode in my 216 and while having the valve cover of I noticed no oil coming up to the head or where does the oil get up to the head? What is the copper line coming up from the side where the lifters are located?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The copper line is the oil feed for the head. You might want to pull it and check for a potential clog.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is very common for the line to be bent wrong behind the side cover allowing it to wear through on a push rod. This will cause oil loss to the top end.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
Does this copper line go thru a antifreeze cooling galley?

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
It did wear thru the copper line and I fixed the hole in the copper. The copper was broke at the fitting so when I tried to remove the fitting from the block antifreeze started coming out. I stuck it back in and soldered the line and all looked well. No anti freeze in the oil or coming to the head but no oil eather. I will try blowing the line out tomorrow.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
The oiling schematic was a great help to understand the oiling system. Thanks tclederman



Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
the line goes clear through the block, you can see it coming out the other side going in again near the little triangle on the opposite side of the block, they are cheap and easy to replace. You can't use them again. If you tried to take it out of the block you most likely wound it up inside the engine and now it will never work. I had a hard time believing anyone would put something toghether this way, but thats the way it is.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
Where can you buy the tubes? LMC?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
jim carter is where I got mine, you can also just get the parts from Napa or someplace like that and make your own, chevs of the 40's hs them I believe. between jim carter, chevs of the 40's and the place right down the street, I have been able to get nearly anything I need. I have never used LMC, however many people do and are happy.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
OK So I looked at it again and I don't understand where the pipe goes. Does it go down to the oil pump or across the block. The pic shows it going down to what appears is the oil pump but someone else said it goes across the block??? When
I attempted to remove it antifreeze started coming out. The fitting had epoxy on it to I believe keep the antifreeze out but lets the oil pipe pass thru the fitting. I just don't want to start with a easy fix and end up pulling the motor out.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
I took it apart and it was not to bad. Lets just see how well it goes back together!

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
Hey James,
Your right, it's not to hard. I just posted aking this a few days ago or so. Putting the new one in is tricky. I had no instructions. I ordered the line from Jim carter. Chevy of 40s has one part in the kit back ordered.
I am going to post pics tommorrow night as I photo documented mine step by step. Take your time! Remember, you get one shot, or you have to order a second line kit. Good luck and keep us posted...


Phil
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
Thanks fiftee3 I will be looking for it.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
no, it goes completely through the block, right through the water jacket between cylinder 3 & 4. look on the drivers side there will be a little triangle shaped piece of sheet metal, and very near there will be the other end of the tubing coming out of another fitting in the block and making a very short turn into another fitting very near the small triangle piece. that is what you are replacing. It is really simple, just keep in mind that you can only put it in once, it can't be taken apart and reused.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
I ordered the kit from Jim Carter today. I tried the hardware parts thing but the didn't have 1/8 tube.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 94
Here James, hope this helps. I'm very new to all this and not sure, or know that I don't do everything by the book. Most of the things I do work, and here's how I did mine a few days ago.

http://www.fiftee6.com/fiftee3.7/



Phil

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0