Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,637 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 66 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2013 Posts: 66 | Good morning guys n gals. I should be picking up my 66 2-ton with the great running 292 and was wondering if I should look for a later model head or at least one with hardened seats installed.
I've been messing with all sorts of machinery and vehicles for almost 30yrs and usually port all my heads that I'm using for 'my service'.
SO, with that being said, is there a 'replacement' head that will bolt on a 292 that I won't have to worry about banging the seats in or cracking?
The engine seems to run fine but what I plan for might need a little more grunt. I built up a 283 with .060 forged pistons, Vortec heads, carb intake, HEI, ex268 cam for another project that looks like WON'T come through. Would it be easier just to swap the 283 in versus rebuilding just the head?
Looking to tow a 20' HD pintle hooked trailer (with electric brakes) and a New Holland 345D (about 9K lbs)
Thanks Errol | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 | Errol, normally the answer to hardened exhaust valve seats with unleaded is no you don't need them unless the engine will be put under heavy load for long periods of time. Based on what you are saying of your needs, you will definitely benefit from this extra machine work and exspense. I just got some head work done from a very knowledgeable engine builder on my stovebolt. He asked if the engine is going into a motor home or was going to pull heavy equipment going up over the pass, I said no, end of discussion. If I were you, to keep the valves in the head, I'd do it. 1953 Chevrolet 3100261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY GalleryVideo of the 261 running1964 GMC 1000305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | On the engine swap. The 292 passenger side frame tower is particular to the 292, so that would have to be replaced. Second the 292 has as much torque off idle as a 350.
All the heads are about the same. They can definitely use a pocket port. The early 194 head will bump the compression about a point. The basic problem with the heads are Siamese intake ports, solution Lumps. There is a listing (left panel) on inliners.org of casting numbers and combustion chamber size. There are cutaways of the head at t6racing.org
Larry
Last edited by LGriffin; 05/19/2013 11:44 AM.
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Your 292 will out pull that 283. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | It is highly unlikely you need to do anything to the head. Being it is from a 2 ton it most likely has some very good alloy exhaust valve that will not weld themselves to the seats on hard pulls. I say run it until it needs work.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The 292 has hardened seats & valve rotators. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | I have read where most engines that were run when leaded gas was around have plenty of lead pounded into the seats and don't really need the hardened seats installed. If the seats have been cut a bunch of times, the lead is long gone, but a fresh head will still have some left over.
As stated above, 292's were designed for rough constant abuse so leave it as is.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 | By the description of your 283 it should have good power. Your choice of engine for this truck should be based on what rpm you'll be running at. A stock 292 and a stock 283 with a 4 bbl have similar peak torque numbers but at different speeds. The 292 will have peak torque at around 2000 rpm and the 283 will be close to 2400 rpm. Your ignition, cam and carb set up might affect the peak torque but it'll most likely peak at a higher speed than the 292. A 283 with a 2 bbl carb will have slightly lower torque values at all speeds than a stock 292. Check your rearend ratio and tire diameter to determine what your cruising rpm will be. If it's above 2400 rpm, the 283, if it has a 4 bbl carb, might be a better choice for this truck. I've been through all this in my head already because I'm facing the same decision for my 1-ton. It should do 55 at 2370 rpm; right on the border line. I also have a 1/2 ton that needs an engine and it will cruise at much lower rpm so I'm planning to put the 283 in the 1-ton and the 292 in the half ton. Good luck with it.
'64 swb stepside (gone) '57 1 ton '53 phone truck '59 swb '46 1 1/2 ton '68 swb gmc
| | |
| |