| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,443 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 23 | Starting checkout and replacing wheel cyl's and brake shoes on my truck. Have put a kit in the master cyl and had the hydrovac rebuilt. The frontbrakes are 8 bolt wheel and 8 bolt hub. What I think is the dust cap,is about 1-7/8" hex shaped. Is this actually threaded? If so I need to get a socket to fit it. I don't want to start with a hammer this early in the game. Thanks, Jim | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | It is threaded and fine threads also. It will probably be stuck with old hard grease. I'd use some type of strap wrench or a very well padded pipe wrench or cresent style to keep from buggering it up.
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 23 | Thanks for the info. I noticed also that the whole assembly had been cleaned and painted recently so along with the grease you mentioned I know there is some paint that will not help making it come off easy. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks, Jim | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | That seems unusual for a 3800. The dustcaps on my 1 Ton are round. Also I didn't know that the 3800 came with a hydrovac as I thought they started with the 1 1/2 Ton model. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 23 | Well the dust caps came off with a large pair of channel lock pliers. The hex shaped dust cap was hard to get to due to the 8 studs around it. A socket might have worked but the edges of the hex shaped cap were not made sharply flat, they were formed rounded off and not easy to get an good grip on. I had a 6400 with the hydrovac and when I got this 3800 I was surprised to see it under the truck (By-passed). The wheel cyl's are not leaking, but since I have them accessible, I'll go ahead and install the rebuild kits. Thanks to the assistance from Stovebolt members, all is going well, the way it should be. Thank you Gentlemen, Jim | | |
| |
| |