The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Anybody found a good way of putting the gasket around the bezel? Without using super glue? grin

I bought the gaskets from Classic Parts and am wondering if they are the correct size. I understand that 60 year old rubber isn't going to look the same as what I bought, but they should at least be close to the same size, right? The gaskets seem to be twice the size of the old ones which causes the clips to not clamp it down as well. This new rubber has a lip to it where the old didn't, so I'm not 100% certain that I'm putting it in the correct way.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I believe Denny Graham has some good pics of that, look him up if he doesn't see this

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Will do Bill. Thanks!

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
f18delta -

The headlight lens seals that I bought for my '54 were a little long. I had to cut them to fit. They have a wire insert(don't cut the wire) and have a little flap similar to your description. The edge of the headlight bezel sits in the flap. When the bezel is installed, the seal fits tightly between the bezel and the headlight retainer. And yes, the wire clips are difficult to attach, as if the diameter of the seal is too large. You may need to slightly bend the clips to improve the fit, especially the top clip that fits into the slot in the headlight bucket. Here are reproduction seals and clips installed in my '54 bezels:
> Seals installed - inside view You can see the flap on the cutoff pieces.
> Seals installed - outside view

My '54 did not have the original seals, so I don't know if the reproductions are larger. Denny Graham says that reproduction headlight lens seals are larger diameter than the originals, as you also say.
> Denny's discussion about the seals. NOTE: The forum software ate Denny's text so they look like blank posts. But you can still read them by clicking on "Quick Quote" under the blank posts.
> Denny's "Headlight" album

FYI - bezels were different on some pre-war Chevrolet passenger cars, and maybe trucks. There was a mounting tab attached to the top of the bezel. The top wire retainer clip serves as the mounting tab on later models.
> 1940 Special de Luxe Sport Sedan The "top" is actually on the right. Not sure if the wire retainers are installed correctly.

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Thanks Lonnie! I'll see if I can wrestle them in at some point this week. I've found that these trucks can have some stuff bent to fit and all's well afterwards. I guess I've forgotten that these were made to be rebuilt by people in a field if need be.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0