The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MRMEROTH11, Charles in CA, mick53), 150 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 144
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 144
If I wanted to exhange a 4.11 geared '53 truck rear end for one from a '54 or earlier chevy car, other than the lug differences, anything else I should watch for, will they work with the stock truck torque tube driveline? Are the cars a "milder" rear end gear (guessing they are)??
If I could interchange, I'm betting those car rear ends would be dirt cheap at a salvage yard if I could locate one (I'm figuring likely $100) versus buying a repro ring and pinion (don't know how much they cost, but surely more than that).

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The '54 and earlier car rear ends came with a 3:70 ratio or a 3:55 ratio. The 3:55 came in cars that had a powerglide transmission. The rear end for a car is different than the pick-up rear end. Not saying that you couldn't fabricate it to be used. Unfortunately many of the early cars also came with a 4:11 rear end ratio and those guys are buying the rear ends to do the same thing you want to do and that is keeping the price up on them.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I put a 3.5 pass rear end in a AD truck a few years back. It did not fit all that well. The pass axle width is narrower so I had to use wheel spacers.
Your better off using Patrick's 3.5 conversion for the truck diff.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 144
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 144
Thanks for the info, that sets me straight.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Yeah the biggest thing is width of the axle. I think cars are 58", and trucks are 61" center to center of tire tread. I learn the hard way on that when I bought my truck. Not knowing it had a car rear end in it, i cut the side wall out of a tire causing a blowout..... exciting to say the least. Then I knew why they had hubcaps on the wheels of it, 6 bolts front 5 rear...... The car axles aren't as heavy either as the truck.....

John

Last edited by Whitelightning; 05/08/2013 4:56 PM.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
I put a 3.5 pass rear end in a AD truck a few years back. It did not fit all that well. The pass axle width is narrower so I had to use wheel spacers.
Your better off using Patrick's 3.5 conversion for the truck diff.

Can you elaborate on this Dave? My understanding was that the torque tube length was where the majority of grief showed up with this plan. Thanks.



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The length of the torque tube is an issue. The tires were ahead of stock to get the u' joint in the right place. This was done before Patrick's sold his 3.5. I would not recommend the set-up.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I didn't remember the torque tube being an issue, just the width mainly. If I remember the mounts looked like they had been moved on the differential, I guess to line up with the mounting pivots on the truck springs.....

John


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0