The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dennys28, Steelonsteel, Opelika Tom, Guitplayer, Ponchogl), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
I am having an issue getting my 235 to start. I picked this up from flagstaff AZ, and someone had put in a 1958 235. Still has the pushbutton starter and reversing switch. I am not getting any spark at the points. I switched this over from 6V to 12V,, added a New 12v coil, new points, new 12v battery, but not really sure how to hook up the reversing switch,, Any suggestions? I'm in in for the long haul and want to be able to pull in in and out of the garage to work on it.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/lbl101/Presentation2.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/lbl101/20130424_163340.jpeg
http://s79.photobucket.com/user/lbl101/media/20120811_160718-1.jpg.html

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy seabeebu3, you can eliminate the polarity reversing switch, they are just one more thing in the igniton circuit to go wrong. If you're going to set your truck up negative ground then the wire from the ignition switch goes to the positive terminal of the coil, after it passes through a ballast resistor, the wire from the negative terminal of the coil goes to the distributor. A twelve volt starter should have an extra terminal on the foot switch, this terminal provides the resistor bypass circuit connection, run a wire from this terminal up to the output terminal of the ballast resistor (the terminal that is connected to the coil positive terminal). That should give you a simple common ignition wiring circuit, from your pictures it looks like you need to purchase the correct twelve volt foot switch with the resistor bypass terminal, and a ballast resistor, hope that helps.

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Couple questions, I'm still using the pushbutton starter the truck came, can I still use thus get a coil with resistor built in so I don't have to place a resistor on firewall? If I need the 12 v pushbutt button, do have a link with one of these. Sorry Im new yo the 46. Thx bill

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Seabeebu3, you could use a coil with a built in resistor and eliminate the ballast resistor, however you will only have the voltage that the coil puts out for all conditions. A circuit with a ballast resistor provides you with more voltage for starting, and a coil with a built in resistor can only put out the same amount of voltage all the time. As to links, I'm sorry I'm a mechanic not a confusilator guy, and I haven't got around to learning how to do that kind of thing yet. Maybe one of our gentlemen with better confusilator skills would post the link you seek.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0