The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#935652 04/14/2013 12:34 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Hello folks. I have a chance to buy a 1935 Chevy 1.5 ton. Some questions: This truck has mechanical brakes, how well do mechanical brakes work in these larger trucks? It has a two speed rear axle, top speed?? Are parts hard to get for this truck? (It needs a total restoration). Thanks!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you're looking at a low speed farm truck, not a cruiser, max speed will be about 45 with the original engine and the rear gears in a 1.5T, think 1935 road conditions .... mechanical brakes can work fine if they're kept 100% and you're a good "defensive driver" .... some parts will be unobtanium and take dedicated searching for used, sheet metal repair will be a good pastime wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
Not to mention all the wood restoration.


1936 Chevrolet 1.5-ton SWB
"Murtahg"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

It's only original once.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Had a '34, fine around town, two speeds are slow and slower.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
I can do 55 but I have a 235 in the wifes '36.


1936 Chevrolet 1.5-ton SWB
"Murtahg"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

It's only original once.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Thanks guys for the info. I have decided to pass on the '35. Too many projects anyway. I really need to keep this truck collecting disease under check, LOL.....(Not that I have as many as some of you, ha ha...)


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0