The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, klhansen, cmayna), 76 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,501
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
Finally bought one. Casting #328578, F1210XTA code. '73 or '83. +0.030 with crosshatching and no ridge, and the head's been redone. I gave $375 with the clutch, bellhousing, starter, saginaw three speed, and a junk 250 for parts, for those that are curious. More than I really wanted to pay, but 292's are pretty unusual and it looked pretty promising so I went for it.

It had ran really rich before, and the PO bent pushrods lifting it, so I decided to tear it down and freshen it up. Good thing I did, rings were still good but it ate three cam lobes and lifters, and the cam bearings were beat to hell (ham-fisted install). Also the other bearings didn't seem to like the metal going through them and needed to be replaced. The -0.020 journals were still good, though.

-But, here's the really interesting part. I took off the oil pan and found a thirteenth pushrod! Didn't even match the others. I also found a spare crank key and part of the crank gear that someone had broken off. And while not a functional problem, the crank counterweights had been beaten with a hammer and deformed. It also has some casting "tumors", for lack of a better word, in the main webbing, really unusual. Also the crank key looked like it had rolled in the keyway somewhat.

And, as always, pictures

Don't ya love "rebuilt" engines you didn't put together?


Some of my crap:
1963 C-30 flatbed dually 292/SM420
1965 C-10 LWB fleet 250/column shift 3 speed
1965 C-30 9' stepside 250/SM420/4.10 gears (my DD)

Website I made for my crap:
http://www.66submarine.com
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
Interesting concept. I've got spare parts scattered all over my shop. It never occurred to me that I could store them in the oil pan. But since I've got several engines sitting around I'm afraid I'll forget which one I put them in. I suspect that you're not through finding surprises with this one. Maybe you'll find some gold coins if you scrape around in the sludge. Good luck with it.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
we took a diesel engine apart one time had a wire brush in the oil pan, had a ratchet in a refrigerant compressor crankcase once. It is a quite poplar place to store tools apparently.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0