The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Joe H, Jon G, 3B), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,455
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
I recently purchased a 54' 3100 and the color was changed to a non-stock color. According to info I have it was painted based on Dupont #GS 664k, which is close to a teal color.

In any case, I don't have access to Dupont info...and thought I'd check with stovebolt to see if someone might be able to confirm if this is legit number, and if so, what the PPG equivalent might be.

Thanks!

Kevin


1954 Chevy 3100 (3 window/4sp)
1966 Ford Mustang convertible (Factory K-code)
See...Ford & Chevy can get along after all!
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I'll tell you right up front that I know nothing about paint. Tim, Denny, and Brad have been trying to educate me ... with little success. Perhaps another 'Bolter can give you info on your GS-664k paint code.

This is a site that the GM Heritage Center sent to me when I was researching the color for the bowtie on my 1954 3104 chrome hubcaps. These are probably near approximations of the original 1954 colors created with modern paint bases and tints. I gave the 54 PPG paint code to a local PPG paint store and they mixed a can of Mariner Blue for me.
> Modern Approx - 1954 Chevy Truck Colors

Tim has a lot of paint color info on his website:
> Right column

FYI - here are interior and exterior details from Tim's site:
> 1954 Chevrolet Truck Colors
> 1953 (and 1954) Chevrolet Truck Color Chips p1
> 1953 (and 1954) Chevrolet Truck Color Chips p2

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Here is another illustration of all the 1954 Chevrolet Truck colors. You might note that Ocean Green is like some shades of teal (that I found in Google images).

If you want to know the PPG equivalent/offset formula/code, you could try calling PPG. Lonnie has done this recently - maybe he will post the phone number that recently worked.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Glad you posted this up, I got a look at the Coppertone color in '54, assume it was the same as '53. My firewall is painted this color, I know one thing, the truck cannot be that color again, it just can't.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
Thank you, Lonnie! I appreciate the paint info. It's my understanding the previous PO's wife went through a Dupont book and just picked out a color a color she liked. It's actually pretty nice, and is only 6 years old, so would make no sense to change at this point. I want to change grill from white to body color, but want to match as close as possible.

Cheers!

Kevin


1954 Chevy 3100 (3 window/4sp)
1966 Ford Mustang convertible (Factory K-code)
See...Ford & Chevy can get along after all!
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by tclederman
Here is another illustration of all the 1954 Chevrolet Truck colors. You might note that Ocean Green is like some shades of teal (that I found in Google images).

If you want to know the PPG equivalent/offset formula/code, you could try calling PPG. Lonnie has done this recently - maybe he will post the phone number that recently worked.

Thanks, Tim! If I can confirm if the code I believe is correct Dupont, then I will do just that. Kevin


1954 Chevy 3100 (3 window/4sp)
1966 Ford Mustang convertible (Factory K-code)
See...Ford & Chevy can get along after all!
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Originally Posted by sstock
Glad you posted this up, I got a look at the Coppertone color in '54, assume it was the same as '53. My firewall is painted this color, I know one thing, the truck cannot be that color again, it just can't.


thumbs_up


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

sstock, are you saying "no way" to Coppertone on your truck in the future?

66kcode, do you think the Ocean Green (call it Ocean Teal) will satisfy your 6 year old (an important matter - keep her happy and keep her interested in "her" truck).

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Originally Posted by tclederman
sstock, are you saying "no way" to Coppertone on your truck in the future?

Yes, it just doesn't do it for me. More of a fleet color I would think for a public works department. Maybe it would be ok with a chrome grill and bumpers, but a Korean war truck with gray caps and bumpers on coopertone would be bad IMHO. A 54 truck with a two tone and chrome items might look ok though.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by tclederman
sstock, are you saying "no way" to Coppertone on your truck in the future?

66kcode, do you think the Ocean Green (call it Ocean Teal) will satisfy your 6 year old (an important matter - keep her happy and keep her interested in "her" truck).

Tim....haha...good question! Yes, my 5 yr old daughter approves of the current color.....so don't have to sweat that one (yet!).


1954 Chevy 3100 (3 window/4sp)
1966 Ford Mustang convertible (Factory K-code)
See...Ford & Chevy can get along after all!
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Tim asked me to post the phone number to the PPG Paint Library. So here it is, plus some other ways to research your paint color:

1) Call PPG. Phone Number: (800) 647-6050, ask for the Paint Library. Use this "800" number instead of the number on the bottom of Tims Paint Tech Tip.
> Paint Tech Tip (Great Info, but do not use the PPG phone number in the tip)

2) Send an email to the GM Heritage Center
> GM Heritage Center Contact Info

3) Find the codes on PaintRef.com
> Paint Ref.com - All Chevrolet Truck Paint Codes
Click on the model year at the top of the page to narrow the search.

You can also narrow or expand the search by entering specific terms in the search box below the color samples and mfg paint codes. Such as:
"Chevy Truck" for paint codes for all years of Chevrolet Trucks
"1954 Chevy Truck" for paint codes for 1954 Chevrolet Trucks
"GM" for all General Motors colors
"Mariner Blue" for all paints named Mariner Blue
"GM Mariner Blue" for Mariner Blue on GM vehicles
"Chevy Truck Mariner Blue" for Mariner Blue on Chevrolet Trucks ... yes, there are two PPG codes for the color. One for '47-'52, and one for '53-'55. But there is only one DuPont color code. Old trucks are a puzzlement.

3a) UPDATE - Here is the main page for PaintRef.com Pretty easy to search. Has links to paint databases and chips by major suppliers.
> PaintRef main page

4) Go to your local PPG automotive paint store.
I received an email from the GM Heritage Center responding to my question that confirmed that PPG #10984 is the correct color for the bowties on my '54 chrome hub caps. I called the PPG Paint Library to confirm that the number was 1954 Mariner Blue. I didn't ask the PPG Library for the mixing formula. I gave the number to my local PPG automotive paint store and they mixed a pint for me. I asked the store for the formula that they used to mix the "1954 Mariner Blue." They printed the mixing formulas for "1953-'55 Mariner Blue" and for "1947-'52 Mariner Blue" so that I could confirm that the two were different colors of blue. Good customer service!

Here is info that I learned from Brad Allen, Tim Lederman, and Denny Graham:

Tim Lederman:
Original Advance-Design (and several earlier year) trucks' exteriors paint was Dupont Baking Dulux, synthetic enamel. Repair work was usually done with Air Drying Dulux (synthetic enamel). Wheel/body striped was lacquer.

An "offset" is used by PPG to refer to a modern formula that produces a color very similar to an older paint color (an older code that usually/probably required a mixture of different color-pigments that are no longer available).


Denny Grahamn:
None of the original formulas are the same as they were back in the 50's. The offset color is formulated from modern day resins and pigments to look as close to the original color as that can get it today.

This is an interesting read concerning the DuPont/GM marriage:

> DuPont Paint Information

- Lonnie

Last edited by LonnieC; 04/12/2013 11:31 AM. Reason: Added PaintRev main pg

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by 66kcode
Thank you, Lonnie! I appreciate the paint info. It's my understanding the previous PO's wife went through a Dupont book and just picked out a color a color she liked. It's actually pretty nice, and is only 6 years old, so would make no sense to change at this point. I want to change grill from white to body color, but want to match as close as possible.

Cheers!
Kevin,the easiest way to match your color, go to your paint supplier & ask them if they have a camera.
There is a special camera that most paint suppliers have, that is used for matching colors where there is no color code available.
It takes a picture of the paint on your vehicle & spits out a formula for it.
They should be able to come up with a perfect or near perfect match for you.
Kevin

Last edited by JeffL; 04/07/2013 6:24 PM.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0